Tuesday, 25 November 2008

On wonderful things...


Sometimes in life you come across a film, book, play or piece of music that really makes you feel alive. Sometimes, if you're very lucky, these things will appear in your life one and another after another until you feel almost breathless from the emotion of it all.

That's how I felt last night - song after song after song - when I went to The Swell Season at the Royal Albert Hall. The Swell Season are Glen Hansard from Irish band The Frames and Marketa Irglova. They both appeared in a film called Once and won an Oscar in the Best Original Song category for 'Falling Slowly'.

I bought the soundtrack to Once not long after seeing the film and when I heard about The Swell Season I snapped that up too. I can't even begin to estimate how many times I've listened to those albums (click here if you want to hear a few Swell Season songs on myspace) and when I heard they were touring I was determined to snap up a ticket, no matter what the cost.

I wasn't disappointed. It was one of the best gigs I've ever been too (and I've been to a lot) and, song after song, the hairs went up on my arms and I felt...well I can't really describe how I felt. Emotional, that's for sure.

And, for a evening, I fell in love with Glen...





...and Mar




(apologies for dodgy youtube quality in both vids. Couldn't find any footage of last night so had to nick borrow what I could!)

Actually I'm still a bit in love with them both...

*ahem*

Anyway, check them out if you like melancholy, folky, singer-songwritey stuff.

Onto other wonderful things...

1) I found out last week when I'll be meeting my editor/publishers. Middle of December. And I've even got something to wear. Result.

2) My book is listed on Amazon.co.uk !!!!!!!! I was utterly flabbergasted when I typed my name into Amazon (even as I was typing it, I was thinking, this is stupid...it's not going to be there) and there it was - my name and my novel!

Ever since I first discovered Amazon I've SO wanted to have my book listed on it (even before I wrote the thing!) and now it's there, for the whole world to see (which is simultaneously exciting and terrifying).

So yes, there's no cover but there is a title, a description (and you'll see what a bizarre idea for a novel it truly is!) ...and a publication date!

And my real name (you didn't really think my parents were cruel enough to christen me Calistro did you?). Ssssshhh!

13 comments:

pierre l said...

Excellent news about the book, but we'll have to wait nearly a year. I trust you will keep us posted as it goes through its various stages. From what I have read in other blogs it will be a busy ten months.
You are in good company in the "customers who bought this..." box as well.

liz fenwick said...

Sounds like a brilliant concert but even more wonderful was seeing your book on Amazon!!! So fantastically exciting!
lx

Julia said...

Have just been on Amazon! Mega well done, Cally. Enjoy every minute. I shall be buying "The House of Wannabe Ghosts" when it comes out. Brilliant.
Julia.

Leatherdykeuk said...

Fabulous! Added to wishlist :)

KAREN said...

I agree with you about the music, it's really lovely, and I've already pre-ordered your book - sounds right up my street :o))

Lily Sheehan said...

I saw it the other day and I loved the idea. Not like any I have read before so its definately going into my book collection. I can't wait till its published.

SueG said...

Just checked Amazon and, indeed, there it is. How exciting, Cally! Can't wait for it to come out!

Paige said...

I have my copy pre-ordered! ;)

B said...

the idea for your novel sounds great. i can't wait to read. glad you're excited :)

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Ooh, middle of December sounds good, and already having your outfit sorted sounds even better. I can't wait to hear about it!

Captain Black said...

Let me know when a cover image is available. I'll add your book to the NR gadget. And, of course, I'll buy a copy!

KayJay said...

Oh my god, it makes it all so real being on Amazon!! I'm so excited for you. I think it sounds like a fantastic concept and I can't wait to read it. I'm curious - who wrote the description/synopsis blurby bit? Was it someone at the publishing house or did they lift it directly from what you submitted? Just curious to know how these things work.

Calistro said...

Pierre - Thank you. I certainly will keep you all posted :o) And yes, I'm in very good company aren't I!

Liz - Thank you. It really is exciting.

Julia - Thank you so much. I can't even begin to imagine other people reading my book but am very excited at the thought!

Leather - Oh thank you so much. I can't wait to read your book too, after really enjoying the extract I read during the Amazon comp :o)

Karen - Glad you like the music too. There's always a danger, when posting about music, that other people will go, "She's got weird taste!" ;o) Thank you so much for pre-ordering my book, that's so lovely of you :o)

Lily - Thank you! It's actually a bit relief that it's like nothing you've read before. Every time I open Heat magazine and go to their book recommendation page my heart misses a beat in case something has been published that's like my book! My novel would be most happy on your bookshelf ;o)

SueG - I can't wait either :o)

Paige - Oh thank you so much. It's so exciting knowing people are pre-ordering. I just hope you all like the book. Eeeek!

B - Thank you. I just hope that book browsers read the blurb on the back and go, "Ohh, I like the sound of that" rather than "WTF?!" ;o)

Zinnia - I'll let all afterwards! Exciting!

Captain - I certainly will! Can't wait to be part of the NR widget! :o)

KayJay - I'm not sure who wrote the blurby bit but it wasn't me! They lifted a couple of lines from the end of the first chapter and the rest (in the third person) has been written by someone else. I think they've done a pretty good job of getting the gist of the novel without making it too confusing!