Wednesday, 17 December 2008

How Publishing Works

I don't know why it's taken me so long to find this blog

http://howpublishingreallyworks.blogspot.com/

but I've just spent a good half an hour reading through her posts and nodding my head at most of the advice proffered.

I particularly like this paragraph in a post on criticism:

"Remember that your levels of reading comprehension drop dramatically when reading a criticism of your own work: you filter out the good stuff and magnify the bad, so that you translate “this is good but you need to work a little on your characterisation” into “I hate all your characters!”

I think the same can be said when you're critiquing your OWN work. You're totally blind to the good stuff and all you can see are the faults.

Worth thinking about when I start my edits of book 2 some time next summer...

2 comments:

Captain Black said...

Thanks for that link. I've bookmarked it.

Jane Smith said...

Calistro, thank you for the lovely comment about my blog! I'll keep an eye on yours, too, now: and congratulations on selling your book--let's hope the second novel works out well too.