Wednesday, 10 December 2008

Progress and links

Book 2 is going well *touches wood*. I've been writing every other day and that seems to be working for me. On writing days I manage about 1,000 words before my brain goes 'that's enough' and shuts down. On the days that I don't write my brain still thinks about my novel and I've had ideas for various scenes/bits of dialogue/funny bits on the train, on the sofa, at work, right before I fall asleep. Pretty much everywhere really. As a result I've now got lots of scribbled notes on the backs of envelopes, important letters and, very occasionally, actually in my notebook. Hmmm...time to transfer them all to my index cards so I've got them all in one place.

Anyway, I've got a secret weapon for those days when I'm supposed to write but the words won't come...

Write or Die!

I first saw this linked to on Sally's blog and I think it's a genius idea. Basically you set yourself a word goal and the amount of time you're giving yourself to write those words (2 hours max) and then you choose the mode you want - from gentle (if you stop writing the screen gradually goes red and you get a pop up message telling you to get writing) to normal (screen goes red plus scary noise if you stop writing) to kamikaze (if you stop writing it starts deleting your words!!! Not recommended).

On the subject of links...

Do you ever find yourself using the same physically descriptions over and over again to express certain moods e.g. she frowned, he bit his bottom lip, she glared, he folded his arms etc (it's easily done over the course of 80-100,000 words!). If so check out the site below:

Body language cues to emotion

I don't recommend you use the exact words/phrases used on the site but it's certainly useful for thinking about the way a character might physically show that they're defensive/nervous etc.

Book 2 word count: 3,087 / 90,000 (3.4% written)

8 comments:

liz fenwick said...

Great links! Well done on the progress :-)

Captain Black said...

A kay a day keeps the deadlines away. Well, theoretically anyway.

Thanks for the Craft link. I've bookmarked it for future use.

Lily Sheehan said...

Thanks for the links. I've just made a start on task 6 for Eurofiction so write or die works for me.

Paige said...

Book 2 is coming along nicely! Well done!

Your letter is M, by the way!

Paige said...

Couple of awards for you over at mine!

Lily Sheehan said...

And Mine!!

KAREN said...

You're doing well with Book 2, and thanks for the links...very useful :o)

lindsay said...

I'm always suspicious of writers who say they can sit for eight hours and write, write, write. Or maybe I'm jealous? Who knows. I do know that after a couple of hours my head is ready to leak out my ears. :)