Saturday, 6 December 2008

Time to stop faffing...

...and get writing!

"I won't start writing book 2 until I've tidied up my desk," I told myself earlier this week.

then...

"I won't start writing until I've had my new book shelf put up next to my desk," I thought. "I need all my 'how to' books near me before I get started."

then...

"I need a white/cork board next to the desk."

then...

"I just need to print out my synopsis and breakdown of the first 9 scenes and pin them to the board."

then...

"I just need to read through my notes on book 2."

then...

"If I created some images of my characters and pinned them to the board that would help me visualise my characters as I write the novel."

then...

"I need to set up a new word counter for this book on my blog"

And then the realisation hit me - all this is well and good but what you actually should be doing Calistro is WRITING the damned thing!

So I got started today.

I fired up my old favourite YWriter and started at the very beginning of book 2 - chapter 1, scene 1. At first I felt a bit self-conscious and the words stumbled out of me as my internal editor awoke and started mumbling, "that's not very good," and "bit of a weak opening there," and "are you sure this is the best way to start?" but I forced my way onwards and, before I knew it, I had 1,289 brand news words.

It's a good start.

I wrote book 1 in 3 months and 3 weeks but didn't have much of a life outside of work and writing. This time around I'm going to give myself 6 months to finish the first draft so, fingers crossed, I should be finished by 5th June. That's 3,750 words a week if I want to write a 90,000 word first draft. Or 1,250 words 3x a week. Perfectly do-able.

I hope.

I'm still a bit nervous about getting 20,000 words in and realising the book isn't working and needs to be ditched (like I did with the original idea for book 2) but I'm feeling positive and I'm enjoying getting to know my new characters. And besides, with all four of them staring down at me from the cork board on the wall, it's not like I'm going to be able to forget about them!

12 comments:

Carolyn Jess-Cooke said...

GOOD LUCK with your book - I always begin a writing day by faffing... beats facing that expectant, intimidating blank screen... but a blog is a good way in. Yours, particularly so. Good luck.
xx

Tam said...

Good start - well done :-)

JJ said...

Well recognised! So glad you spotted the ... procrastination.

Good luck with the words.

Gonna be a writer said...

I find faffing a wonderful way to pass the day. Enjoy it.

Debs said...

You sound like you've made a great start, well done.

Emerging Writer said...

you are so right./ What an inspiriational post. I'll just make a coffee...and put on the wash...and update my blog, no. I'll start now

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Yay, you're underway, congratulations!

KAREN said...

Sounds a bit like my writing day! I wish you hadn't put that link there - I'll have to investigate now :o)

Funny how once you actually start writing things start flowing - makes me wonder why I don't do it more often! Well done on a good start :o)

Paige said...

Hearing you've made such a good start has inspired me to get going with my own novel.

I recognised the procrastination you listed and I'm ashamed. I need to get on with my writing.

Well done!

womagwriter said...

Sounds like an excellent start! Did you clear your desk and get the shelf put up as well?

Lily Sheehan said...

This creating characters link is brilliant. Thank you!

Lily Sheehan said...

Theres an award for you over at mine