Thursday, 29 January 2009

Oh and...

I finished reading The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook by Matt Dunn this week. I bought it because it was shortlisted in the Melissa Nathan awards for comedy romance and if there's one thing I'm intrigued by it's how to write a good romantic-comedy (it's what I'm hoping my books are after all).

Anyway, I'm pleased to report that Matt Dunn's book is very funny indeed. It's absolutely chock full of witty one-liners. Okay so a few make you roll your eyes but I actually laughed out loud several times whilst reading it on the train, and that's not something I do often!

The other thing that's great about the book is the voice. You always read about how agents and publishers are after a great 'voice' in new fiction and this book is a very, very good example of a new, different, consistent voice.

Oh yeah, and the book is set in Brighton. Can't say I've read many books where, in my head, I'm going "I know that street! And that one! And that stretch of the pier." Very refreshing. Also very useful to see how he dealt with the setting as my second book is also set in Brighton.

My only disappointment was that the ending felt a bit rushed but that didn't water down my enjoyment of the rest of the book. Highly recommended, particularly if you're a romantic comedy writer yourself.

3 comments:

Paige said...

I'll be buying that book tomorrow! Thanks for the recommendation!!

Lily Sheehan said...

I saw this one advertised a while back and it intrigued me. I will definately get it now. Thanks!

KAREN said...

I'll definitely look out for this one :o)