Monday, 12 January 2009

Update

Not much to report today. I've been writing and writing and writing a bit more with the occasional break to watch episodes of the first season of Prison Break (I don't know why I ignored everyone who told me it was great, it's fantastic! Very violent admittedly but compulsive viewing).

Talking of Prison Break and other great TV series - has anyone else found themselves applying things they've learned about writing to TV shows and/or films? While I was watching Prison Break yesterday I found myself thinking, "Aha, the reason they just put that scene in was to give X the motivation to escape when previously he wasn't interested" and "Oh look, just as things were going well for Y they go and throw a new problem at him - more conflict to overcome" and "Oooh, nice bit of backstory there to make Z seem more sympathetic."

No? Just me?!

Anyway, despite my TV viewing, I have been writing and I've just hit 20.1% written. That's one whole 5th of my novel! Having a word count target for each week/month is really useful as it means I can give myself the odd day off here and there by upping my word count on the other days and I'm bang on target to hit 26,000 words written by the end of January *crosses fingers*.

At the moment I'm desperate to hit more than 20,000 words as that's where I dumped my previous attempt at novel 2. I will not be superstitious, I will not be superstitious! Better get on and start plotting the next few scenes then as I don't actually know what happens next...

18,181 / 90,000 words written (20.2%)

14 comments:

Bernadette said...

Great going, Calistro. You'll be past 'dangerpoint' before you know it. Just keep your head up and don't look down!
And, yes, I do that with the TV and films too. Out loud. Drives my husband up the wall.

Leigh said...

YEY. Well done on the word count. Keep going. Don't even think about the numbers, and you'll be well past that excuse-to-give-up stage before you notice.

As for spotting plot tactics, etc., in films - well, I saw Mamma Mia at New Year. Does that count?

;-)

Debs said...

I do the same thing when watching films/tv and nearly drive the family mad.

Well done on the word count, you'll soon be passed the unmentionable stage.

Gonna be a writer said...

Try not to dwell on the numbers. I'm sure there'll be no problem this time.

JJ said...

Brilliant. You'll be catching me up soon .... ha ha ha ha. Okay, maybe not.

Keep it up.

KAREN said...

I love Prison Break, and yes I definitely do this every time I watch a film or drama! That's my excuse for watching so many of the damn things anyway :o)

Good luck with your word count - you can do it!

Lazy Perfectionista said...

I TOTALLY do that! I now get so frustrated by the unsubtle infodump preceded by 'And, as you know...' that I have been known to shout at the TV.

Captain Black said...

I'm a total addict when it comes to TV thriller and SF series. To name but a few: 24, Prison Break, Sex & the City, The 4400, Battlestar Galactica and Cracker. Did you spot the odd one out there? Still addicted nevertheless.

Not just you. I most definitely analyse these shows and most other TV programmes, in terms of writing aspects. I even do it with books now too. It can be very distracting and I'm trying to wean myself off doing this, so that I can just sit back and enjoy them.

You're storming ahead with your novel, so well done. I must get on with mine, though 24/7 is on later...

Paige said...

After reading Writing the Romantic Comedy I always watch films with a writer's eye now. It's become a bit of a bad habit and I can't seem to switch it off to enjoy the movie! lol

Melissa Marsh said...

Great job on the word count! And I do the same thing when I watch movies. When a movie is really, really good, though, I don't do it near as often - I'm too sucked in by the story.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Looks like I'm the odd one out here, but then I rarely watch TV so I expect the novelty gets in the way. That word count is terrific, now stop reading your blog comments and go make it even bigger!

womagwriter said...

Sounds like it's going well, Cally, keep it up!

ChrisH said...

No, it isn't just you! I do it too. Cor, but well done on the writing output, you're doing really well.

NAVAL LANGA said...

I have read some of your posts and would like to revisit.

If you like reading short stories from an Indian writer, then a visit to my blogs would be an interesting one for you.

Naval Langa
SHORT STORIES by NAVAL LANGA
Another Interesting Blog
BIG CITIES OF INDIA