Friday, 20 March 2009

Could I have a few more hours in a day please?

Isn't it weird how life suddenly seems to go into fast-forward mode and you feel like you're constantly running to try and catch up?

I'm off to two different European cities next week so I've been rushing around like a mad thing to try and get everything done before I go away. Work is super busy (I've been training up a new member of staff whilst trying to keep up with my own work), my social life is hectic and whenever there's the smallest gap between the two I've been frantically scribbling away at Novel 2.

At the end of February I was 6,000 words behind the schedule I'd set for writing the first draft of Novel 2. I wasn't hugely worried because I was planning on catching up in March, which seemed pretty free at the time. Now it's not. With next week looking writing-free I've tried to fit as many words as possible into this week so I could hit 50% of the first draft done and go away without feeling too guilty. And I was doing well...

Until my editor sent me through the copy edits for Novel 1! Admittedly there weren't loads but it was one more thing to add to the 'to do' list. I wasn't sure I'd be able to get them done before I went away but tonight I nailed them!*

AND I hit 50% of the first draft of novel 1 written.

Okay so there are still LOADS of things on my 'to do' list but they're just going to have to wait until I get back next week. Writing comes first**. I know where my priorities lie!

In other exciting news - my editor also got in touch to say they've received the design for the book cover from the illustrator and she's "thrilled" with it! She wanted to take me and my agent out for tea in Liberty's to show it to us but that's on hold because I'm away next week (although she did say she'd still like to take us out some time :o)). Instead she's suggested she send us a jpg of the cover so they can work on it while I'm away if I like it. Oh god...I so, so, SO hope I do. I just emailed her the copyedits saying I'd love to see the jpg but I just know my heart will be in my mouth whenever my email inbox shows a new message tomorrow. Please, please, please let me instantly LOVE it.

What else? Oooh yes, the wonderfully thoughtful woman who is Helen got in touch to ask if I'd like to be interviewed for Trashionista.

Would I?

God yes!

I was reading Trashi back when I was writing Novel 1 and used to read the author interviews and think, "Oh God, I love that to be me one day" And now it is! It's so surreal seeing my photo gawping out from the Trashionista website and my words on the screen for all to read. Surreal but wonderful.

So yes - I may moan about how busy I am (and I frequently do on Twitter) but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Novel 2 wordcount: 45,047 / 90,000 (50.1%)

* Well, I say I've 'nailed them' but I wouldn't be surprised if I came back to a few more queries.
** Don't tell that to the VAT man, the NI man or any of the other companies that want money off me!

9 comments:

JJ Beattie said...

Brilliant interview Cally.

So exciting to hear the news about the cover! (I so hope you like it too.)

You're speed of writing (with all those commitments) puts me to shame. You've just overtaken me and I started in Sept... and I don't have a full time job. Gulp.

KAREN said...

I loved the interview (I've been reading Trashionista for ages too!) and you're doing brilliantly at keeping on top of your commitments :o)

Looking forward to seeing the cover, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you like it!

Amanda said...

All so exciting! Shall look forward to seeing the cover too!

Debs said...

It all sounds so hectic, but exciting and wonderful too. You're doing so incredibly well.

Hope you have a great trip. x

ChrisH said...

Ooh, I was very excited when I spotted you on Trashi - well done!

Lily Sheehan said...

Great answers! You sound v. busy but its good to be busy with good stuff!!

Tam said...

Very exciting stuff and well done on getting everything done (and sending out your Pay It Forward too!)

As for being busy; you wouldn't have it any other way :-)

Bernadette said...

Great interview and well done on keeping up with everyting.

You put me to shame!

Ian said...

How many hours do you usually write each day and approximately how many words? I set aside two hours per day and in that time write around 800 to 1,000 words, but I have a full-time job.

I completed the first draft of my first novel in just 12 weeks, but at that time I was really driven and writing more than 6 hours per day.