Friday, 24 April 2009

Look what I've got!!!

Yep, the proofs for my novel!!! (click on the images to make them larger)

I can't begin to tell you how excited I felt when the postman handed me an ever-so-slightly battered package with my publisher's stamp on the front and a lumpy, book-like feel!

I'd already seen a print-out of the front cover (NB: this isn't what the final cover will look like, it's all about the blurb for the proofs!) so that didn't come as a surprise but it was utterly magical to open something that looked like a book, felt like a book and smelled like a book and find my words inside it!

And I was sooooo scared that those words would seem really, really rubbish once they'd jumped from my computer screen into a real, live book but - you know what - they didn't. I flicked through the book (being careful not to bend the spine, Elaine & Caroline!) and read random passages and I just felt SO DAMNED PROUD. Yes there were sentences that I could have improved, yes I spotted the odd adverb and adjective that could have been replaced with a stronger verb, yes I might have skimped on the description every now and then but...I just didn't care!

Of course now I'm utterly convinced that book 2 is utterly rubbish in comparison and I'll never write anything decent again but, if I'm honest, there were times when I doubted book 1 too. I don't now. Now it's the most gorgeous thing I've ever seen.

And I wrote it, one word at a time.

I have to remind myself of that as I plod on with book 2 (which is horribly behind schedule but let's not mention that!). It might look ugly now (and believe me it's a bit of a minger) but, hopefully, one day, it'll be sitting pretty next to book 1.

Yes, I just need to keep telling myself that.

41 comments:

Keris said...

Congratulations! It looks gorgeous. Can't wait to read it.

Sarah*G* said...

It looks fabulous!

Andy Shackcloth said...

So very very pleased for you.
Best of luck with book2

KAREN said...

Oh my god I'm soooo excited!!! It look and sounds utterly fabulous and I can't wait to own a copy :o)) Of course book 2 will be just as good!

Paige said...

How utterly wonderful! I'm so excited for you! I seriously can't wait to get my hands on my copy in October!

P.S. Glad to hear you were careful with the spine ;-)

echohead said...

Congratulations. Looks really good. There's nothing quite like the smell of a new book....especially if stuffed full of your own words !! Keep working on that second book !

Lost Wanderer said...

It's amazing. Congratulations! The story sounds great, and I can only imagine the excitement you must feel.

Caroline said...

I am feeling rather proud of you! Enjoy and cherish x

Gem said...

Hey, I found your blog through Sally Quilford's. Just wanted to say a huge well done, and just from the blurb of your book I can't wait for it to be published so I can read it :-)

Am sure book two is fab as well, have faith!

Gem x

Helen said...

This is fantastic. I too cannot wait to read!

Gonna be a writer said...

Enjoy the moment you've earned it.

Maddie Moon said...

It looks fabulous, Cally, all blue and sparkly. Must be such a thrill to hold it in your hands.

Adam said...

Congratulations, looks great. :)

Bernadette said...

Fabulous, Cally. You deserve to be proud.

L-Plate Author said...

WOW!

So proud of you mate. And to think that I couldn't find you on that train exactly one year ago today and now you're going to be published!

x

Amanda said...

How exciting! It looks soooo lovely. Can't wait for my copy to wing its way to me! :-)

DOT said...

'And I wrote it, one word at a time.'

How I know that feeling. And how I long to experience your feelings now. They are well deserved. Enjoy and prolong the moment.

Leigh said...

I've got ever such a buzzy-glowy feeling seeing this! Congratulations, lovey, it looks worth the wait.
x

ChrisH said...

Fantastic!!! (I'm sure book 2 will be fabulous, too!.)

SueG said...

This is so wonderful for you. It really is a great moment, and sure, I guess scary too, but really more great than scary! Enjoy and congratulations!

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh my God! That is so exciting! It looks really brilliant. Well done, you. (And I bet Book 2 is just as good.) xxx

HelenMHunt said...

It looks very beautiful. So excited for you. Can't wait to see it on the shelves. I'll have to point at it and say to complete strangers 'I know her!'

Kate Lord Brown said...

Well done Cally! What a moment - it looks gorgeous x

Lily Sheehan said...

I love the look of it. Can't wait to read it.

B said...

i can't wait to read it :)

Queenie said...

Woo-hoo that's ace!!!

SpiralSkies said...

I know I've already said this on Twitter but I am soooo thrilled for you!

You totally deserve it and Novel 2 will be just as ace :0)

Debs said...

Many, many congratulations, it looks wonderful, and I can't wait to read it.x

Pat Posner said...

It looks great, Cally.

Congratulations!

JJ Beattie said...

Corrrr! Completely fabulous, Cally! Congratulations.

Jumbly Girl said...

It looks gorgeous Cally - well done. Can't wait to have a copy of it in my hands. And don't worry I'm sure Novel #2 will be fabulous

Tam said...

Fan-bloody-tastic, love! So excited for you :-)

Fionnuala said...

Wow Cally, how exciting. Savour the moment. Though you will have many more, I imagine that first one to be the most exciting. x

Writing Experience said...

Hai Calistri. It looks fabulous

CC Devine said...

Fantastic! Such an exciting time! CCx

KayJay said...

I think it looks great! From everything I've heard about your book it looks like this hits just the right note, both design and blurb-wise. Oh, cherish these exciting days and don't get too stressed re book 2 - you've done it once, you'll do it again, with knobs on. It's been such a journey, you've got to enjoy this bit!

jh said...

Woohooo! So pretty and blue and sparkly. And filled with YOUR WORDS. So exciting! J xx

Shanta Everington said...

Just stumbled across your blog via somebody elses. I love discovering new writing blogs. Congrats on your proofs. What an exciting time.

Terri Tiffany said...

Your book looks terrific! I would be thrilled with that package:)

womagwriter said...

fabulous!

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣,情趣商品,A片,AIO交友愛情館,AIOAV女優,AV,A漫,免費A片,本土自拍,自拍,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,色情遊戲,色情影片,情色網,色情網站,微風成人區,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人文章,成人小說,UT聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,哈啦聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,080中部人聊天室,080聊天室,中部人聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,苗栗人聊天室,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊聊天

情趣用品,情趣,情趣商品,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情小說,情色小說,情色文學,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,色情遊戲,AIO交友愛情館,一葉情貼圖片區,情色論壇,色情影片,色情網站,微風成人區,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,18成人,成人影城,成人圖片,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人小說,A片,AV女優,AV,A漫,免費A片,自拍,UT聊天室