Wednesday, 17 June 2009

It's oh so quiet!

Sorry for my recent radio silence but life has been somewhat hectic since I got back from this gorgeous place...

I couldn't have asked for a more wonderful place to go on a writing course - a small island off Greece called Skyr0s. The views were breathtaking, the sea was crystal clear, the weather gorgeous (36C one day) and the 'community' (I think that's probably the best word to describe the place where I stayed, we were so isolated) was just beautiful. And don't get me started on the people I met - I haven't laughed so much for ages.

The writing course itself was slightly disappointing (it was very much geared to total beginners) and I only had time to write 3,000 words of novel 2 but it didn't matter because I had so much fun, was constantly busy talking to people and doing stuff (and even made a panel of stained glass in one of the other classes!).

Now it's back to the real world and as my tan fades it's on with the writing again. I failed to meet my six month target (6th June) to finish the first draft of novel 2 so I've given myself a new deadline - the end of the month. I've plotted the final few scenes of the book and I reckon I've got about 10,000 words left to write. I can do it. There's just the small matter of a flat to sell/buy, author photos to be taken (by my very talented cousin) and a social life to attend to!

Writing novel 2 has been much, MUCH harder than writing novel 1. I've made life harder for myself by going for a totally different structure and 3 different POVs. I thought, when I was planning this novel, that going for another 1st person, hero's journey approach might bore me (after using that format for novel 1) but I'm starting to realise quite how much I've bitten off by doing things differently with book 2. It's like learning to write a novel all over again! There's going to be a LOT of editing this time around but it's okay, I'm quite looking forward to it (don't quote me on that in a month's time when I'm banging my head on the carpet!)

In other news I spent a fantastic day with the SAF girls last weekend and was sorry to leave when I did (party to go to). It was fantastic to meet everyone (some of whom I'd met before) and I thought the fact that ALL OF US showed up was a real sign of how close the group has become. You couldn't ask for a nicer, more supportive group of womag writers. You're all ace!

What else? The marketing team at my publishers has got behind book 1 and I received a copy of a fantastic sparkly in-house promotional email today. Apparently people were clammering to get hold of a copy of the proof of my book as a result of the email but I think it was more to do with the sparkling gift bag they were giving away with it (containing a mini bottle of champagne, a glitter bath bomb and some chocolates) rather than my novel.

Sod being an author, I want to work for a publishing company! ;)

16 comments:

ChrisH said...

Good luck, Cally, I know you'll do it (but thanks for making us feel better by telling it like it is!). In the meantime keep enjoying publication.

Lane said...

That place looks like paradise!

Good luck with your deadline. I'm sure you'll do it, even with all the other exciting things you've got going on:-)

Karen said...

Gorgeous photos, and yes it was great to meet the other Saffers - very lovely ladies!

Good luck with the deadline :o)

JJ Beattie said...

Brilliant to hear an update on the holiday. I know exactly what you mean about the 'community.' I loved the feel of the group that they create.

Very exciting to hear news of book 2. I think writing is probably always a bit like that ... we keep challenging ourselves with new structures and styles.

liz fenwick said...

Interesting about the different structure. I hadn't actually thought about the structure of the books 1, 2 or 3!

Pictures - glorious
lx

DOT said...

*sob* I used to go to Greece every year for three weeks when I had money. Your photos bring back lovely memories.

You can do it! 10,000 words easy!

Tam said...

You most certainly can do it! And your promo bag sounds fab - where can I get one?
Oh wait, I'm only a writer too. Damn!

Bernadette said...

Fabulous photos, and it was great to meet you and the others. Long may these lovely times continue for you. You deserve it!

Lily Sheehan said...

Could I be more jealous if I tried. Glad you enjoyed yourself. Good luck with the deadline

HelenMHunt said...

It was so lovely to see you on Saturday x

Fionnuala Kearney said...

Cally, it looks amazing.Good luck with selling the flat and all the other stuff. You dont need it in your writing. Fx

Ps I'm beginning the edit next week. I will have carpet burns on my forehead.

Debs said...

What a beautiful place. I'm amazed you managed to do any writing at all with so much to look at.

Good luck with the buying/selling too. It takes up so much time and energy.

I'm sure you'll be fine with book No 2, but best of luck with your deadline anyway.

Hack for hire said...

Love the pics! 10,000 to go, you can do it!!

my name in print said...

It does look amazing! where did you find out about the course? I would love to do something like this...
x

womagwriter said...

Lovely photos! And I think the promotional copies of your novel complete with sparkly gift bag and champagne should all go to your SAF buddies :-D

Good luck with writing the end of novel 2.

Kate Lord Brown said...

What a beautiful place & did ever a writer deserve a break like that?! Sparkly gift bags - hope they let the author get one too.