Sunday, 21 June 2009

Things that make you go Ooooh!

Look what I received earlier this week:


It's the proof of the cover/jacket artwork for novel 1! (click on the image if you want to see a larger version). All it's missing is the quote the lovely Kate Harrison provided for me (I think that'll be added in before final printing).

All I'd seen up to this point was an emailed jpg of the front cover so receiving the proofs in the post was a wonderful surprise. I received 5 in total, all printed on proper book cover thin card with the title of the book embossed in gold. I framed one and put it on my desk, sent one to my parents and am hanging onto the other three for a bit.

To be honest I'm not sure what to do with them (other than peek at them from time to time and make a little 'Oooh' sound when I touch the shiny gold title). I was tempted to fold one around the advanced copies I received a month ago so I can really get a feel for what my finished book will be like but I don't want to ruin one by creasing it up!

I'm thinking I could run some kind of competition when the book comes out and give away a copy of my book and one of the jacket artwork prints, signed. But would anyone want one? Would that be a bit of a wanky thing to do? It's not like I'm JK Rowling or Sophie Kinsella or someone!

21 comments:

SpiralSkies said...

Oh, blimey, that is more beautiful than treasure. You should definitely run that comp, it's not wanky at all. I really am beside myself on your behalf :0)

gaelikaa said...

nice post!

L-Plate Author said...

That is just so beautiful. Am proud of you mate x

Elizabeth Baines said...

Lovely!

my name in print said...

You should be thinking that you're not yet JK Rowling or Sophie Kinsella!!!!

It sounds fun - not wanky. Be proud of yourself.

xx

Bernadette said...

Really lovely cover!

And I would want one so go ahead and run the comp (though how you could bear to part with ANY of them is beyond me!)

Girl With The Golden Touch said...

I think its a good idea! How exciting :) xx

Lily Sheehan said...

OMG I would sooo want one. Am really pleased for you. The cover looks great! Congrats

Karen said...

Ah, but you might be one day! And I'd love a cover, it's totally gorgeous :o)

Debs said...

I'm not surprised you want to go Ooooh. You must be so proud, what a wonderful feeling.

I think a competition is a fab idea, I'd definately like the chance to win a copy of the cover, although I'll definately by a copy of the book whatever happens.

ChrisH said...

Oh, oh, me please (shooting up hand). Run the competition Cally, that cover looks fab.

Samantha Tonge said...

Gorgeous cover, Cally!

x

JJ Beattie said...

OMG, that's so gorgeous... It's so exciting. You must be so excited.

Amanda said...

How lovely - and more than a bit exciting :-)

Lucy Diamond said...

I really did say OOOOH! when I saw that. Gorgeous!

Lane said...

So pretty! Love the font.

And yes - a comp!

Kate Lord Brown said...

It looks SO fabulous! Congratulations x

Sky Blue said...

Love the jacket, I want to buy the book right now! Can't wait to see it in a bookshop.

Definitely run the competition, it would be so cool to win a signed copy from a 'someone' like you!

Fionnuala Kearney said...

God that cover is gorgeous. I want one! Run the comp! Fx

womagwriter said...

It's a brilliant cover, Cally - I love it! A competition sounds like a great idea. And if we all advertise it on our blogs it's a great way of drumming up publicity and sales for your book!

pierre l said...

Yes it is a lovely cover, and a competition sounds like a great idea (just before the book is released, or thereabouts).