Sunday, 5 July 2009

The 1st draft of novel 2 is FINISHED!!!!

Apologies in advance for any typos in this post - I've just drunk the best part of a bottle of champagne so am typing this post very carefully... ;)

This weekend I resolved to finish novel 2. My self-imposed 6 month deadline to reach the end of the first draft whooshed past several weeks ago and I promised myself I'd get it done within 7 months - and not one day over.

Tomorrow, July 6th 2009, is exactly seven month since I wrote the first word of novel 2 and I'm done - I've finished the first draft!!

On Friday, fellow Novel Racer Helen posted on Facebook that she was intending on completing the first draft on her novel by the end of today and, just like 2007 when I raced L-Plate author to finish book 1, there was a real feeling of camaraderie as we updated our statuses over the course of the weekend to reflect how many words we'd written and how many we still had left to write.

Helen finished first (at about 6pm today) but I was determined to reach 'The End' in time to enjoy the bottle of chilled champagne I'd bought from M&S earlier today. I wrote on my sofa with the TV burbling along in the background then moved to my balcony and continued to type in silence, the sun making me squint until it finally set and I shivered, too determined to finish my final scene to go in and get a jumper.

And finish I did. At about 9.25pm. Total words written today: 5,612! Total number of words in 1st draft of novel 2: 97,134 (so much for thinking it would be 90k!)

I'm not ashamed to admit that I jumped up and down in my hallway a fair bit and may even have punched the air!

There's a fair (okay a LOT) of editing to do for this novel but I'll worry about that another today. Tonight it's all about "Yeahhhhhh I DID IT!!!", and another glass of champagne *clink*

22 comments:

L-Plate Author said...

Well done Calistro, am proud of you. You knock that champagne back girl, you deserve it. x

bookalicious said...

Congrats!!! Care to tell what the second novel is about? :)

Teresa Stenson said...

Congratulations - you've spurred me on (but I haven't started it yet) .

HelenMHunt said...

It was such fun! I'm so glad we both finished. I have loads of editing to do as well, but not going to worry about that just yet!

DOT said...

Congratulations and I hope your hangover isn't too bad this morning. (Monday)

Leatherdykeuk said...

Hurrah! Well done!

Karen said...

Brilliant news, well done :o))

I'm on the verge on finishing mine, which has also run way over the intended word count!

ChrisH said...

You've worked really hard so that champagne was well deserved. Whoop whoop to you!

Lucy Diamond said...

Well done! That's really brilliant news. And you totally deserve the champagne and the air-punching! x

Lily Sheehan said...

Well Done - thats given me a kick up the bum to get on with mine. Can't wait to hear all about novel 2

Fia said...

You deserve every last drop of that champagne. Congratulations!
Err...you didn't drink every last drop did you?

Jumbly Girl said...

Wow that's fantastic - I'm well impressed!

Paige said...

Well done! *clink* indeed!

Debs said...

Well done, both of you. Glad you celebrated in style too. x

Yvonne said...

Hurray Hurray Cal! Well done!

HelenMHunt said...

In answer to your challenge on my blog - yes, definitely - let's do it!

Heather Hapeta said...

i make many typos and am not even drunk.

my writing at the moment is about the death of my son and grief ... very differnt to my usual travel writing

Amber Lynae said...

Congrats. Enjoy the high, and punch all the air you want. You are awesome.

Lane said...

Hurrah, well done and chink chink!

Calistro said...

Thanks all! I drank nearly a whole bottle of champagne and DID have a bad head the next day but I'd do it all over again! Hopefully I will with book 3 though I'm not even THINKING about that right now!

B said...

hurrah. i'm so impressed with you both :)

womagwriter said...

Congratulations and so sorry for being late to come here and say that!