Tuesday, 28 July 2009

Folking Editing!

Oh dear, I think I just won the prize for the worst pun in a blog title, ever!*

I've started editing novel 2 - actually cutting, re-arranging and typing words rather than making pretty collages with index cards and post-it notes - and so far so...okay actually. I've done about 5%. That doesn't sound like much but opening up YWriter for the first time since I wrote 'The End' was a bit scary. In my mind novel 2 was a big old mess that was going to need some serious surgery to make it into an actual book but I've edited the first couple of chapters now and... it's not the horrific mess I thought it was. In fact, there are even a few bits (paragraphs, words) that aren't that bad (and other bits that make me go "urgh, you call that writing?" but let's not go there).

Anyway, it's going okay - apart from the fact I kind of promised my agent I'd get the novel to her in time for the Frankfurt Book Fair which is on 15th October. That's just over 2 months away! Considering it took me 7 months to edit novel 1 I've got my work cut out for me (and no one to blame but myself).

It's times like this when I really wish I didn't have a day job but I'm going to try and buy myself a few more valuable hours by booking 7 to 10 days of holiday in August, go away somewhere, and edit my heart out (or gaze out of the window, go for a walk or watch TV just like I would at home...)

I'm not freaking out yet (plenty of time for that mid-September!).

*The reason for the 'folking' editing considering it's not actually going that badly...I'm off to the Cambridge Folk Festival this weekend! I checked the weather and wasn't too gutted to read that it might rain. Why? Because I'll get the wear these, the best wellies in the world, ever!

8 comments:

JJ Beattie said...

Oh I love the wellies. What has happened to wellington boots since I've been away? I saw lots and lots of gorgeous designs while I was in the UK... I can't wait to move back and wear wellies. And who needs rain? Can't you wear them in the dry? They're gorgeous.

Amber Lynae said...

Your blogs next anniversary is in a week. Those wellies are adorable. Good luck with your editting.

Tom Conoboy said...

Hi Cally, I'll be at Cambridge as well - my partner and I have been going for years. I'll look out for you (and the wellies). It'd be nice to see you again. I'll be the one carrying the rucksack of beers...

ChrisH said...

Brave girl, you'll get there (we'll be checking, you know!). Good luck.

womagwriter said...

Cool wellies!

HelenMHunt said...

Have a good time. Great boots!

Queenie said...

Fab wellies, mine are just plain green, if I wasn't having a year off clothes-buying I'd be looking for an upgrade. Hope Cambridge was good. My Paramour and I have tickets for Shrewsbury Folk Festival over the Bank Holiday weekend, and I am already scanning the long-range weather forecast with considerable anxiety...

Teena in Toronto said...

Sounds like you'll be busy!

Happy blogoversary!