Tuesday, 7 July 2009

More silliness!

This is what an extract of book 1 would look like if it was animated by really rubbish animators then voiced by really wooden actors!

Fun to make though (apart from when I tried to publish it, it crashed and then I had to start all over again...)




In other news I've started a new notebook (I love me a new notebook). I've called this one "Book 2 Rewrite" and I've been scribbling down all the rewrite notes I've secreted in various places including my phone, 2 other notebooks, scraps of paper and in the comments section of YWriter.

I love this stage of writing a novel - working out how to restructure the book, how to make it stronger, how to make the characters more rounded, how to up the tension/emotion, even making myself grin with new ideas for funny bits.

It's just the actual doing it I'm not so keen on.

Oooh I know...I think I'll read some of my 'how to edit' books and then I'll get my blank index cards out, have yellow for character 1, blue for character 2 and pink for characters 3 & 4, then write each scene on the appropriate card, lay them out on the floor to look at the balance of characters and scenes, maybe write down the level of tension on each card to check that it increases as the book progresses and then...um...look at them a bit more...

12 comments:

Leatherdykeuk said...

I loved the vid :)

I pimped you on Lynn Viehl's blog :)

Hack for hire said...

Like the video - good to see you're using your downtime after completing the novel wisely!

The bit about notes made me laugh. I have them everywhere: iPhone, notice board, scribbled on bits of paper and stuffed into pockets - I wonder how many pearls of wisdom have been sucked away down the washing machine over the years.

Karen said...

Ooh, that's a teaser! Can't wait to read more :o)

I'll be editing mine shortly so I'm psyching myself up. Looking forward to it though!

Debs said...

Oooh, I can't wait to find out more.

Happy editing. You sound so organized, I think I should follow your example.

Amber Lynae said...

Cute video. I hope you enjoy your new notebook. You sound like a woman on a mission.

B said...

I'm looking forward to reading your book even more now :)

Gorilla Bananas said...

Have you ever written a story with a gorilla in it?

Tam said...

Oooh, love the WoooWooo noises in the background :-)

I am so doing this (permission to sing Copycat, Copycat in a school playground style). I think that despite the spooky similarities, our books are quite different after all!

JJ Beattie said...

Oooh, you tease. I can't wait to read it.

Lily Sheehan said...

Loved this, I really need to have a go of this with a snippet from my novel. It looks like fun!

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write said...

The voices are kind of creepy, but it's a cool video!

Angel Bluestocking said...

Best of luck with the novel.

I agree - the crafting and editing is the most exciting part but also the hardest to motivate yourself to do. Hmmm, must get back to mine instead of reading blogs!

warm wishes