Saturday, 17 October 2009

Heaven Can Wait Virtual Book Tour - Day 2 (agents and cover letters)

Yesterday I promised I'd write about publication day and I didn't. Sorry. I could claim that I was really busy or that something amazing had happened that took me away from blog world but, to be honest, I wasn't/it didn't. After the frenzy that was Thursday I really needed Friday to gather my thoughts, take it all in and generally calm down a bit!

I woke up on Thursday (publication day) to six texts on my mobile - all saying such lovely things I nearly cried. I logged onto Facebook and people said so many lovely things I nearly cried. I logged onto Twitter and people...you get the picture!

I didn't cry though (even though I said in Thursday's blog post that I thought I might). I didn't cry when I saw my book on the shelves, under T for Taylor - and right next to Donna Tartt - in Borders:
















And I didn't cry when I saw my book sitting in the #45 stop in WHSmiths
























I didn't cry when the friend I was with took two copies of my book to the counter and paid for them.

I didn't cry when I went to a local bar and drank champagne with 14 very good friends.

I didn't cry when I got home and lay on the sofa and watched, through slightly drunken eyes, the Masterchef Professional repeat on BBC iplayer.

I didn't cry once on Thursday.

Why?

I don't know. I honestly don't know. There have been so many occasions en route to publication day when I have cried - when I got my agent, when I received the box of my books to name just two - and I was sure I'd definitely cry on THE MOST IMPORTANT DAY IN THE WORLD. But I didn't.

I felt excited.
I felt relief.
I felt incredulous.
I felt like my fingers were going to fall off from writing 'thank you' to everyone who tweeted me, facebooked me, texted me and emailed me.
I felt like my eyes were going to fall out of my head when people sent me photos of my book on their doorstep, their sofa, in their hands.
I felt like I was living in a dream.
I felt the most overwhelming waves of support, love, and pride from the people around me.

And you know what? When you're feeling that many emotions, when you're typing and texting and emailing and tweeting and bookspying and sitting on the seafront drinking frappucino while your friend's children pretend to be pirates in a washed up boat, when you turn up late to your own champagne celebration because you only had 5 minutes to do your hair and needed 10, when you chatter and laugh and take silly photos and end up eating a burger at 1am...

...there's no time to cry.

Not when every single minute of your day is crammed full of incredulity, happiness, surprise, shock, delight and, well...joy.

My publication joy wasn't about seeing my book on the shelves, it wasn't knowing that it was finally 'out there', it was all about the reaction of the people around me. People I love, people I like, people I barely even know. THAT'S what made publication day so special for me - the people who cared enough to say 'congratulations', to put up a blog post about my book, to retweet my competitions, to post a photo on Facebook, to send me a text.

Okay so now I'm going to shut up because I really might actually cry...

*ahem*

(sorry about that!)

On to Day Two of my Virtual Blog Tour (she said in her best professional, non wobbly voice).

We're off to the Berkshire/Hants border (that's what it says on her blog profile anyway) to visit Fia.

I've written a guest post about getting a literary agent and *world exclusive* have given Fia a copy of the cover letter I sent to my literary agency when I first approached them. It's not something I've ever published on this blog and I hope people find it useful.

Right then...

Off to Fia's blog you go!

http://fias-blog.blogspot.com/

Tomorrow the Virtual Blog Tour travels all the way to Thailand to talk to JJ about my defining moment, fitting in writing with day job and 'that difficult second novel'...

10 comments:

Debs said...

I was going to wait until I'd actually done some editing today before allowing myself to open your book, but open it I did and I'm now on Page 160, and loving it.

It's brilliant, Cally.

Teresa Stenson said...

Wow - and next to Donna Tartt (here's where I go all American Teen) - awesome!

Many many congratulations to you, and thank you for sharing your journey here - it's both heartening and enjoyable to read about.

RKCharron said...

Hi :)
Thanks for the great post & congratulations again on your debut Release Day.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Love & Best Wishes,
RKCharron
xoxo

B said...

I'm not supposed to be buying books you know! I'm on a self-imposed book-buying-ban until I've finished all the unread books I have lying round the place. But with everyone telling me how great it is - I'm going to have to get along to Borders tomorrow! Damn you!!!!!!!!

;o)

Annieye said...

Cally - Many, many congratulations, and I can only imagine what it must feel like to know that so many people, all over the world, are reading your book.

(Next week, I shall be one of them!)

Colette said...

I remember a year ago when you first got your book deal and I told you how thrilled I was for you (I was Gonna B back then) that you were worried that people might think you were boasting and showing off. If this week has taught you nothing else you now know how happy we all are for you. Well done and big hugs.

Queenie said...

Awwww, I'm really, really glad you had such a fab day. (The bit about you being late for your own celebration made me laugh rather a lot.) I have left your novel indoors, it's no good having it with me here in the office because I'll never get any work done! I'm only allowed to read some more when I've done all my jobs. Sigh...

DOT said...

Unless I am going completely gaga - not unlikely - you are sold out in Borders and Waterstones in Brighton. Had a look yesterday for HCW and couldn't find it - only Jo Brand who was signing her autobiog in Borders - I snubbed her.
"Jo," I said, "not now, I am looking for a real work of fiction not some fatuous ghost-written piece of nonsense."
Will try W.H.S today as I see from somewhere it's on sale there. Also will order copies at aforementioned stores to make them realise they have a bestseller on their hands.

(He! He! The word verification is 'novelest' how appropriate if misspelt.)

Williams said...

The website http://www.mustvisitindia.com/is one of the best travel and tourism related site; check out the travel directory section of the site that contains comprehensive travel resources to guide you in your search for the ultimate travel destination.

Logan said...

Good writing. Keep up the good work. I just added your RSS feed my Google News Reader..Virtual Office