Thursday, 22 October 2009

Heaven Can Wait Virtual Book Tour - Day 7 (writing highlights of the last year)

Today I'm off to visit veritable short story SUPERSTAR, Karen Clarke!

Karen is a member of the short story group I set up back in April last year and she's the only member to have written a story every single fortnight, clocking up an astonishing thirty-six stories.

She has also sold more stories than anyone else in the group - eighteen at the last count! - and has been published by Take a Break, Woman's Weekly, Best, Yours, The Lady, That's Life! (Australia) and had one of her stories translated by Swedish magazine Allas.

Karen is proof that hard work + talent + perseverance = success and I'm sure it's only a matter of time until an agent snaps up her recently completed novel.

Now that I've suitably embarrassed her, on with the virtual book tour!

When Karen asked me to do a guest post about my writing highlights of the last year I thought, that's cool I can do that, but when actually started writing it I felt embarrassed and self-conscious, like I was all "Oooh, look at me and what I've achieved". If there's one thing I don't like it's people who big themselves up and crow about their success and I never want to be one of those people.

The truth is, my writing highlights post only tells part of the reality of my writing year (the good bits!). Later on in the blog tour I'll be visiting author Kate Harrison's blog to talk about 'the things they don't tell you about getting published' where I'll discuss the less glamorous/exciting side of getting a book deal.

But for now, it's all about the highlights. Here's Karen's blog:

http://writewritingwritten.blogspot.com/2009/10/cally-taylor-guest-post-writing.html

Tomorrow, in a WORLD FIRST, I'll be interviewed over on Helen Hunt's blog by....her cats! (yes, you read that right!)

3 comments:

Karen said...

Aw, you're too kind (blushes)

It's an inspiring post (yours I mean) and I'm looking forward to your interview with Helen's cats!

Colette said...

Karen its all true. I'm looking forward to the cats too.

Debs said...

Blimey, I knew Karen had done well with her short stories, but eighteen! So impressive.