Friday, 23 October 2009

Heaven Can Wait Virtual Book Tour Day 9 - The Publishing Dream verses the Reality

When Collette asked me to write a post on the dream of getting a book published verses the reality I was tempted to answer it like this...

THE DREAM

You get a gazillion pound advance, give up the day job and buy a house that would make Beckingham Palace look shoddy - or possibly your own private island. Your second book flows out of you, perfectly formed, in 24 hours and you spend the next 364 days reclining on a chaise longue while a perfectly-formed member of the gender of your choice feeds you peeled grapes/chocolate/champagne. When you deliver it to your editor on day 365 they say "I love it. Don't change a word."

THE REALITY

A ha ha ha ha ha.

... but I didn't think that would be particularly helpful.

Instead I've come up with my top 6 ways in which the dream differs from the reality. I'll be exploring some of them in more detail in my guest post for Kate Harrison later on in the blog tour.

Here's Collette's blog:

http://withinkfromthepinkpen.blogspot.com/2009/10/very-special-guest.html

Tomorrow it's my birthday and what could be more fitting than a chat with Helen Redders about cake! Hope you come back then.

5 comments:

DOT said...

Judging by the number of references to the postman in your interview with Collette, I suspect he might be delivering more than the mail.

I think we should be told:)

Lily Sheehan said...

Great post (have left a comment there). Looking forward to tomorrows post too. Have a lovely birthday weekend!

Karen said...

Ooh, cake! I'll be there :o)

ChrisH said...

Happy birthday!

I didn't realise you were back and I've really enjoyed catching up with your book adventures. Congratulations.

KatW said...

Happy Birthday!
Enjoy your celebrations.
And Helen's blog with her scrummy cakes is an ideal place.
Kat