Thursday, 15 October 2009

Publication Day! At last!

It's here! It's really here! It's publication day and I am...finally...officially... a published author!

Thank you to everyone who sent me an email, text or left me a message on Facebook or Twitter - you've really helped make today feel special! One friend sent me a picture message of him holding my book and that made me grin like you wouldn't believe!

To be honest today's felt a lot like a normal day - coffee and a smoothie for breakfast, check work emails, pick bills off door mat etc - apart from the exciting feeling fizzing sensation I could feel my stomach when I woke up.

What I need to do is make it feel real - I need to go into town and SEE, with my own eyes, my books on the shelves! And I'm going to do that very soon (there might even be photos next time I blog).

I didn't get the chance to do an acknowledgements page for the first printing of my novel so, at the risk of doing a Gwyneth Paltrow (and covering you all with snot and tears) I'd like to thank a few people...

Thank you to the Novel Racers for being such a fab group of writers. Your encouragement and 'race' ethic helped me power through the first draft and you've provided me with lots of laughs and encouragement ever since.

Thank you to the SAF girls. I know I haven't written many short stories recently *coughs, any* but I LOVE being part of the group and you're all fab.

Blog readers and friends - thanks SO MUCH for visiting this blog and sharing my ups and downs en route to publication. It would have been a very lonely experience without all your lovely, supportive and/or cheering comments.

Thank you to Sally Q and the artist formerly known as A.Writer for looking at my synopsis what feels like YEARS ago! Your input was invaluable.

Thanks to my friends and family for putting up with me saying, "I can't come out tonight, I'm writing/editing/crying with despair because I think my novel's shit". Tonight we celebrate with champagne! :)

To everyone who has ordered a copy of my novel THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I know copies are plopping through letter boxes right now and that makes me so excited (and a tiny bit scared!) you wouldn't believe it! It's just...surreal! I really do hope you enjoy it (and don't think 'how the hell did THIS get published?' ;)). If you DO enjoy it my Amazon page is looking a bit empty on the review front at the moment!

Okay, okay...speech over!

Now for the exciting bit!

Competitions!!!

Competition #1 - Short Story

I got my big break by being a runner up in the Woman's Own short story competition in 2006. It gave me the confidence to believe in my writing and start work on a novel and I want to give that kind of break to another writer. That's why I'm running (and funding the prizes for) my OWN short story competition!

There are some fab prizes available and, even better than that, you could win a one-on-one consultation with someone from the literary agency that represent me!

To find out more click here

Competition #2 - Chocolates, Jewellery & a signed copy of my book

If you don't fancy writing a short story but DO love jewellery by Tatty Devine, Hotel Chocolat chocolates and would like to win a signed copy of my novel just sign up for my newsletter and I'll be drawing a name out of a hat a week tomorrow.

You can enter that competition here.

Please feel free to spread the word about my competitions on your own blogs. Sally, Tam and I are preparing ourselves to judge a LOT of short story entries :)

Competition #3 - Shopping Spree!

Competition #3 is being run by my publishers! You could win a £200 shopping trip for you and a friend. Enter here!

Thank you all again, so, so much, for reading this blog and generally being fab!

*cheers*

30 comments:

Queenie said...

Blimey, what a lot of thank-yous! I hope you have a wonderful day and look forward to celebrating with you soon. Hugs x

Caroline said...

Happy Publication Day! Make today all about about you. You deserve all this loveliness x

Bernadette said...

Mine arrived this morning and it's just FABULOUS!!
I'm supposed to be writing today, but I had to have a sneaky read of Chapter One. And Chapter Two. And...So you know what I'm doing for the rest of the day!

Great comps too, Cally.

Well done and I hope you are truly revelling in this most wonderful of wonderful days. xx

RKCharron said...

Hi Cally :)
Congratulations on your Release Day!
Take pictures.
It's a day to remember.
Love & Best Wishes,
Rob
xoxo

Lane said...

Huge congratulations! Enjoy every minute.

I'm looking forward to getting my mitts on a copy.

Off to check out your comps. Great idea. xx

liz fenwick said...

So pleased and proud and all sorts of things. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy!
lx

Fia said...

Wonderful, Cally. Really well done.

Btw, did you get my email as yours didn't contain attachemnts?

Xuxana said...

Woo-hoo! Congrats again and again Cally! I have too much congratulations to write to you here, so I blogged about it: http://bangouttheprose.blogspot.com/2009/10/congrats-cally.html
WELL DONE YOU!

Weysider said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Weysider said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Weysider said...

Well done Cally, and good luck with mega-sales!

Captain Black said...

Congratulations and Celebrations!

This is what it's all about, right?
Looking forward to the launch day, where you can sign my copy.

Samantha Tonge said...

Many, many congratulations, Cally!

xx

HelenMHunt said...

Brilliant my love. So thrilled for you x

Adam said...

Congratulations!!! :D


Adam

Debs said...

Many, many congratulations, I've told everyone I work with to buy your book.

Mine (all three copies - one for me, one for comp, an extra one ordered in my excitement that will be sent to a friend for her birthday).

Have a brilliant day. X

Maddie Moon said...

What a special day for you, Cally! Enjoy, and many congratulations once again.

Nik Perring said...

Congratulations, author.

Nik X

Tam said...

Yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay yay! Oh and did I mention yay?

Congrats :-)

The Secret Writer said...

Awww.... you just made me burst into tears! I didn't expect a thank you! Thank you for letting me read your synopsis. I was honoured.

You've done good. No wonder it's been sold around the world. It's a great story.

Now I might just try my luck at your competitions.....

Karen said...

Congratulations Cally - it's gonna be a bestseller!! My copy should arrive tomorrow and I can't wait to get reading xx

Colette said...

Congratulations. I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy for you
x

womagwriter said...

Wow, it's out! Well done, girl!

Yvonne said...

Congratulations Cally! I revisited my poor, unloved blog to post your good news. Wishing you every success. XXX

Laurennke said...

Congratulations on being a published author!

Bernadette said...

I can't remember the last time I read a whole book in a day.

I really loved it, Cally. And I'm not just saying that. I read a lot, and there are very few books that grip me in the way that yours did. Well done indeed!

CC Devine said...

Congratulations!!!!! CCx

Tania Hershman said...

Huge congratulations! I hope P-Day was everything you dreamed of!

B said...

I can't wait to read it :)

Congratulations!

B said...

And also, thank you so much for celebrating your publication with such a generous competition! You rock :)