Saturday, 19 December 2009

Covers as Christmas Presents

One of the best things about being an author is seeing how my different publishers interpret the book via the book covers. Every time I spot a new one it's like being given the most exciting Christmas present ever (and there's six more to come!)

This is the UK cover (and the closest to how I dreamed the cover would look):
























This is the Spanish cover (I love how they've focussed on Lucy's wedding dress. It's so pretty):
























And then, yesterday, I typed the title of my book into Amazon.co.uk and saw the German cover - and the German edition isn't even out until 2010! (Interestingly the German edition is the first one to portray Lucy as a big part of the cover. To me this cover is the most classically 'chicklit'):
























So, just out of curiousity, if you saw all of these covers on a shelf (and they all said 'Heaven Can Wait' rather than the translations) which one would you pick up first?

15 comments:

Bookalicious said...

They're all pretty, but I think the first cover would attract me most!

SpiralSkies said...

I prefer the first, probably because it's the least chick-litty and I don't tend to read an awful lot of that genre.

I have to say, though, I finished your book in the wee small hours this morning and sobbed myself to sleep... brilliant ending! Can't wait to read your next one now.

X

Karen said...

The others are pretty but I'd definitely pick up the first one, er, first :o)

Xuxana said...

The first one is the best, but the others are so cute too. And they are all blue, my fave colour! I'm sure all the other covers are going to be great as well, I can't wait to see them! I especially can't wait to see the cover of your next book! What do you imagine, or what do you want the cover of your next novel to look like?

B said...

First one, deffo, for similar reasons to Jen :)

Melissa said...

Okay - I'm going to be the odd ball and say the German cover is the one that would make me pick it up and flip it over to see what it's about.

Lexi said...

I'm torn between the first two; they both have the sky shading from deep to pale in that beautiful way it does sometimes.

I'd be drawn to either of these rather ace covers.

Debs said...

I like the first and third ones best, but think I would go for the first a little more than the others, though they're all lovely.

Karen said...

Love the literal translations too, which are "the sky can hope" and "cheerfully to heavenly" !!

Jo Anglezarke said...

I think the last version gives an impression of being floaty and feminine - the first one is obviously a more domestic everyday image.

I would be more likely to pick up the last one but I'm under 30 so maybe it could depend on age?

:@) xx

Cathy said...

I like the UK cover best, for the same reason as Jen and B :)

coffeelvnmom said...

I definitely like the first one best;)

Captain Black said...

I like the UK one the best, as it's not obvious what genre it is. Thank god it didn't have a pink cover, otherwise I'd have got even more stick from my mates.

Hans-Georg Lundahl said...

Heiter bis himmlisch

Hans-Georg Lundahl said...

@ Karen:

in Spanish "esperar" is both hope and wait

I picked the German title because it is NOT a literal translation of that old film title.