Tuesday, 1 December 2009

Good things come in threes...er...fives...

It's late and I'm absolutely pooped from my kickboxing class so I'll have to make this fast.

Here are five very cool things that have happened recently...

5.

My story "Why Doesn't He Notice Me?" is out now in Take a Break Fiction Feast. I haven't subbed many short stories this year so it's lovely to see one in print again.

4.

Another of my stories "Imagination Avenue" is in this gorgeous short story anthology:


















The book is described as "twelve bedtime stories for adult reading that capture those moments of deep emotional significance which return to us in our dreams" and it's utterly gorgeous.

Not only is the cover beautiful but it contains fantastic short stories from some really talented writers like Jo Cannon (who wins ALL the short story comps it seems), Chris Hill (who won the Bridport) and loads of other writers with amazing credentials (what the hell am I doing in there?!). Anyway, if you miss the bedtime stories of your childhood here's the adult version. And if you're a short story writer yourself you could do a lot worse than study these beautifully crafted stories.

You can order a copy on Route's website right now - just in time for Christmas - a snip at £6.99

http://www.route-online.com/all-books/the-route-book-at-bedtime.html

(The featured writers don't make any money from sales, I'm just plugging it because independent publishing houses need all the help they can get...plus it's a fantastic anthology!)

3. When I went to collect the post from the front door I share with my neighbour and spotted her copy of Writers' News. I picked it up to have a little browse and was astonished to see my face on the front! It was accompanying an article on the short story competition I'm running to celebrate the launch of 'Heaven Can Wait'. WOW! Thanks so much Writers' News :)

2. Talking of my face on magazines...check this out!
















I was utterly UTTERLY gobsmacked when Helen pointed me to a blog featuring the front cover of January's edition of Writers' Forum (in shops on 3rd December). That's meeeeeeeeeeeee! On the COVER of a magazine!!! Honestly it's so surreal I can't quite believe it and I think I might do a little swoon when I actually see it on the shelves.

Why am I on the cover? Because Helen is a bloody STAR! A little while ago she did a interview with me about my transition from short story writer to novelist and the editor of Writers' Forum only decided to run it as their cover story!

I can't thank Helen enough. Honestly I can't. It's one of the most amazing things ever to have happened to me (when I was twelve I used to daydream about being on the front of 'Blue Jeans' or 'Jackie' magazine and never in a MILLION years dreamed I'd be on the front cover of anything!).

1.

My agent's verdict on novel 2 is in....

She only bloody loved it!

Here's a snippet of the email I received on Monday:

"I am pretty much lost for words. I absolutely love it Cally. I had the best day ever reading it... This is the perfect book to follow HEAVEN CAN WAIT and I am thrilled with it. All your publishers are going to be delighted! "

You have NO IDEA how relieved I was to read that. I've spent the best part of A YEAR worrying that novel 2 was rubbish, that 'Heaven Can Wait' was a fluke and that I'd disappoint everyone who'd shown so much belief in me.

I've never been happier to be proved wrong.

19 comments:

JJ Beattie said...

Wow; that is all so exciting. (Your cousin's picture ... the promo one, is really gorgeous.)

I think I'm most excited about your agent loving the second book so much... That feels to me to be the essence of everything else that's happening for you.

Congratulations on all of it.

Queenie said...

That is just fabulous. 'All your publishers' - what a lovely phrase! Methinks there will be considerable celebrating on Sat :-)

HelenMHunt said...

It's hard to know which if those things to be most excited about. Let's go with 'all of them'!

Jumbly Girl said...

Fab stuff Cally - lots to celebrate on Saturday!

Catharine Withenay said...

This is all such fantastic news! I am so pleased for you (tinged with just the slightest bit of envy...!) Congratulations.

ChrisH said...

Brilliant news, well done. Lovely news about your second book.

(PS. A little while ago I wrote here how delighted I was for you - which I am, but that I was a teeny bit envious which you were very gracious about. V. pleased to report that I now have my very own publishing contract!)

Gemma Noon said...

Cally I'm chuffed to bits for you, I really am - totally jealous too, but in a good way, I promise!

Massive congratulations, you deserve it xxxx

Nik Perring said...

Hurrah X 5!

Nik :)

Debs said...

Wow, you're doing so well, congratulations.

Just received my copy of the Writers' mag so will read it soon.x

Bernadette said...

That's wonderful, Cally. Well done!

Amanda said...

Fantastic, Cally :-)

Tam said...

Absolutely no more than you deserve, hun. Very well done! Looking forward to Saturday :-)

Lost Wanderer said...

Love the magazine cover! Congratulations. It's all very exciting.

womagwriter said...

Oh my god, what an amazing response from your agent! I'm thrilled to bits for you!

JFKlaver said...

It's always good to hear these success stories. Congrats!

SpiralSkies said...

I truly believe all that merits wine o the power of 5. Something. Very lots of 'yeah!' to you. You deserve it X

(And 'yeah!' to clever Helen too.)

Maddie Moon said...

Oh, that's brilliant, Cally. Very well done.

Calistro said...

JJ - That's the most exciting thing in my book too. I was sooooo scared she'd be disappointed.

Queenie - It is isn't it! :)

Helen - Yeah!

Jumbly - Absolutely. Many wine glasses will be raised! :)

Catharine - Thank you

ChrisH - Congratulations to you missus! I know how hard you've worked. Bloody well done x

Gemma - Thank you :)

Nik - Thank you x 5!

Debs - Bought my copy yesterday. Helen wrote such a brilliant article. I'm soooo pleased.

Bernadette - Thank you :)

Amanda - Thanks mate!

Tam - Me too *squeeeee*

Lost - It really is incredibly exciting

womag - Not as thrilled/amazed as I am! ;)

JFKlaver - Thank you. And thanks for leaving a message. Lovely to hear from you

Spiral - Bring on the wine to the power of 5. And then some! ;)

Maddie - Thank you :)

Sara ♥ said...

Congratulaions on your five things! I'm brand new to your blog - and even I was grinning the entire time reading them. Your excitment is inspiring :-)