Monday, 17 May 2010

The editing starts in earnest...

Sorry for the blog silence - I've been in NYC!

Not for the whole time since my last blog post (though I wish I could have stayed that long!) - for 5 nights at the end of April/beginning of May.

I'd never been to NYC before and was slightly nervous that I'd find it an overwhelming, scary place. No chance - I absolutely LOVED it (photo on the left is of me in Times Square trying, and failing, to take it all in) and will definitely go back one day (there's so much to see and do there was no way we could fit it all in in four days).

A couple of people have asked me if I'll write a novel based in NYC? Quite possibly - one day. I just need the experience to fully sink in first (and possibly go back for a second/third/fourth visit!)

Anyway, back to Blightly. I've got until August to get the edits done on novel 2 and, after an enthusiastic flurry of activity (word cutting and index card plotting) after I met with my editor and agent it's time to knuckle down and PROPERLY start tackling the edits - including writing new scenes and rewriting existing scenes. It's not going to be easy and it's a much bigger job than the edits I had to do for 'Heaven Can Wait' but I know I'll enjoy it (sort of) once I actually get on with it and stop procrastinating.

Time is a problem though. With a full time job, a kickboxing class and a screenwriting session each week I don't know how I'm going to get it all done on time. I'll definitely have start burning the midnight oil (instead of burning up my electric bill watching dvd boxed sets at night!) and will probably have to take some time off work but the worst thing I could do right now is panic. Because if I panic I just freeze (or procrastinate even more) and the edits won't do themselves. I also have to write the first draft of my 10 minute script for screenwriting over the next two weeks. Er, what was that I said about not panicking?!

Changing the subject (and definitely giving me more motivation to get novel 2 finished) I found out the other day that 'Heaven Can Wait' has been sold to publishers in Croatia! That's ten countries publishing my debut novel now. Amazing! I'm tremendously lucky.

What else? I was lucky enough to receive a copy of Nik Perring's book of short short stories, Not So Perfect the other day and gobbled it up in one sitting (very unusual for me as I usually have a very short attention span when it comes to short story collections). It's utterly brilliant and actually inspired me to turn my hand to flash fiction again (after August obviously!). More on Nik's fantastic book on Sunday when his blog tour will be visiting my blog and I'll get to ask him questions about women who vomit up small animals and men called 'Shark Boy' (really!).

I'm also delighted to be part of Caroline Smailes' blog tour for her new book 'Like Bees to Honey'. I haven't received my copy yet but I will, exclusively, be posting the 8th chapter of her book on this blog! You can read more about her amazing and unusual blog tour over on Scott Pack's blog.

Oh yes. And if you're frustrated that I'm not updating this blog very often why not 'like' me over on Facebook where I try and post some kind of short update a couple of times a week (though I'm making no promises!).

More soon...

4 comments:

Queenie said...

Eek, looks like you might have to stop having a life for a little while, and definitely not take on anything new. But only for three months or so, which will soon pass. Best of luck with it all!

Debs said...

You sound busy, busy, busy.

I love NYC and wish we could have managed to go this year, but will have to wait.

I'm posting Chapter 16.

David said...

Good to have you back in old Blighty Cally. Great idea to set a novel in NYC. It's such a great place and I can just imagine some of your characters hitting the streets there. But before all that we've got novel 2 to come. Can't wait.

Hope the edit goes well!

David

Karen said...

Glad you enjoyed NYC and good luck with the edits :o)