Monday, 21 February 2011

Book 2 has been published!

I know...and I haven't even finished the last few edits yet...

Huh?

What the hell am I on about?

The GERMAN version of book 2 has been published, that's what. And here's a sneak peek:


So...(you're possibly thinking)...how is that possible? How are you still tweaking your second novel when it's already out in Germany?

Well.....long story short...

The reason why I've been working on book 2 FOREVER is because there are two versions! Both books feature characters called Matt and Beth and both books are set in Brighton but the German version has a supernatural twist that the UK version doesn't have!

Why?

That's an even longer story but basically it's to do with markets. While supernatural chicklit sells by the bucket load in Germany and is hugely popular the same market doesn't really exist in the UK.

'Heaven Can Wait' did well when it was published at the end of 2009 but, since then, the supernatural chicklit market hasn't really taken off (even Sophie Kinsella had mixed reviews for her ghostly rom-com, 'Twenties Girl') while 'straight' chicklit is as popular as ever.

Yep, it's an unusual set up - two different versions of the same book - but if both publishers are happy then so am I.

That said...

I'd quite like to go back to just one version for book 3. It's much less stressful! ;)

14 comments:

Karen said...

Looks fantastic Cally, congratulations, and YAY for the Germans. Can't wait to see what they do with mine!

Doesn't bode well that straight chicklit it still more popular in the UK though. Luckily I've had a 'normal' idea for my 3rd attempt :o)

Nik Perring said...

Congrats< Cally. German style!

Chris Stovell said...

Gross gut luck mit both versions! I'm glad you explained how the German version came to be out there - I was puzzled when I saw the thumbnail pop up on my blogroll!

Debs Carr said...

Congratulations and the best of luck for both versions.

Cally said...

Karen - Yay for the Germans indeed! I can't wait to see your novel as well. When's it out? Who knows what the future holds for paranormal chicklit. What the market needs is a supernatural Bridget Jones that sets it alight!

Nik - Danke!

Chris - Thank you. I know, it's all a bit unusual isn't it but hey, no one said it was gonna be easy! ;)

Deb - Thanks Debs :)

HelenMHunt said...

Cool. Must brush up my German so I can read it!

Bronagh said...

Looks fab Cally - just wish I knew German so I could read it!!

Best of luck with both versions :-)

Kelly said...

Oh I wish I knew German as I want to read them both! Congratulations, does this mean you will be able to say you have three books published?

LilyS said...

I love the combination of supernatural chick-lit and I though I spoke for my people (kidding!!) Looks fab Cally - well apart from being in German which I can't read :( but i shall very much look forward to reading the UK version.

Cally said...

Helen - I'm able to pick out the odd word. Well...knowing what the English original was helps! ;)

Bronagh - Thanks very much :)

Kelly - Hee! Hadn't thought about that. I guess it's 2.5 books!

Cally said...

LilyS - I'm a bit worried that people who loved Heaven Can Wait will be disappointed that novel 2 isn't supernatural but *fingers crossed* they find plenty to love about it anyway!

Captain Black said...

Viele Grüße!

Is there any chance of a different UK publisher taking on the supernatural version. Go on, flood all the markets, you know you want to.

In any case, well done.

Karen said...

Have just heard from new Foreign Rights manager, Cally, and she's emailed Germany about the publication dates and will get back to me - have no idea when my advance will turn up either!

Cally said...

Captain - Nope, the books are just too similar.

Karen - I would have thought you'd have got 'some' of your advance just on signature of the contract and delivery of the manuscript. Have you been sent a copy of your contract? It should say what the advance payment terms are. If you haven't, ask for a copy!