Monday, 14 March 2011

Day 14 - 30 Day Music Challenge

A song no one would expect you to love...

Hmmmm...what kind of genre would people be suprised at? It's fairly obvious that I like rock and indie. And grunge and some metal. I've mentioned chilled stuff like Craig Armstrong and Max Richter, I've admitted to liking a bit of cheesy Beyonce R&B and I've mentioned a Dinah Washington song so that's jazz included.

Soooo...how about a bit of blues/rockabilly fusion with a modern twist? Ladies and gentleman I present the Irish superstar songstress - Imelda May! I saw her at the Cambridge folk festival in 2009 and she was fabulous!

Here she is singing my favourite song - Big Bad Handsome Man - from her debut album:



What song (or genre of music) would people not expect you to like?

6 comments:

Karen said...

Hip-hop or rap for me. I do like a bit of Eminem!

Cally said...

Karen - Oooh me too! I really like 'Love the Way You Lie' (featuring Rhianna) too. I'm SO losing street cred here aren't I? Still, as long as you're on board! ;)

Bernadette said...

Well, it's still quite old, which most of my stuff is, but I can stand a fair dollop of heavy metal.

Deep Purple 'Smoke on the Water' for example.

Queenie said...

I adore Imelda May. She is a class act.

People are often surprised by how much I love classical music. It's hard to pick a single song; I was going to go for a whole oratorio, because I adore ensemble singing, but I guess that's probably cheating. So I'll pick Rachmaninov's Vocalise, a haunting song without words.

Cally said...

Bernadette - All the best people like metal :)

Queenie - She's brilliant isn't she? And I love her sense of style. I love a bit of classical music too but haven't heard of Rachmaninov's Vocalise. Will google it. Cheers :)

womagwriter said...

I like the odd bit of The Dubliners. Saw them live many years ago - very entertaining evening!