Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Day 23 - 30 Day Music Challenge

A song that you want to play at your wedding...

Hmmmm.

Um.

Er.

Despite spending HOURS making a play list for a friend's wedding last year I've never really spent much - any - time thinking about what I'd want played at my wedding. I mean, I'd probably have a mix of cheesy floor fillers, disco, rock and songs I absolutely love but I haven't thought about specific songs, particularly not the first dance song!

(Interestingly, I was able to answer tomorrow's challenge 'song you want played at your funeral' straight away! Does that make me morbid? Don't answer that!)

Anyway, back to today's challenge. The last wedding I went to was on a Friday and The Cure's 'Friday I'm in Love' played as they walked back down the aisle after exchanging vows. I thought that song choice was just perfect!

I'd probably want a bit of old style crooning at some point - maybe some Nat King Cole, Louise Armstrong, Dinah Washington or Ella Fitzgerald. But who better to croon than...

Frank Sinatra singing 'My One and Only Love'



What song would you want played at your wedding or, if you're already married/divorced, you had played?

6 comments:

Bernadette said...

I was going to sing 'Only Yesterday' by The Carpenters at my wedding, but for various reasons it didn't happen, which is probably just as well as I'm a rubbish singer and was nervous enough without that.
Other than that we had a ceilidh so no songs that I could name!

My sister walked down the aisle to Debbie Harry 'I want that man' !

Bernadette said...

BTW I've had Bonnie Raitt in my head all day today. Just as well the sun was shining!

Queenie said...

Already divorced. Didn't have music at my wedding (registry office & buffet reception, no evening do 'cos we wanted to go out for dinner a deux!). If I married the current Mr Queenie, we'd have to have 'Our House' by Crosby Stills Nash & Young.

womagwriter said...

A song played at our wedding (at our request) was Fairytale of New York. Think I already said it's my favourite? We got married in October so it wasn't terribly seasonal. But it sums up relationships so well and includes some wonderful lines - I built my dreams around you. Sigh!

The DJ played it after our first dance, and after the first slow bit, everyone came and joined it dancing, and the DJ followed it with the Pogues/Dubliners Irish Rover which was an inspired run of songs and got everyone going.

Cally said...

Bernadette - I love the Carpenters! Love your sister's choice of song too. Changing the subject from weddings, but still on Blondie, my kickboxing instructor used to go into the ring to 'One Way or Another' which I think is an inspired choice!

Cally said...

Womag - I LOVE that song. I can just imagine how some Pogues/Dubliners would get everyone up and dancing. Lovely image!

Queenie - Don't know that song, will have a peek on YouTube. Thanks!