Sunday, 6 March 2011

Day 6 - 30 Day Music Challenge

A song that reminds you of somewhere.

Um.

When I left school at 17, with my requisite 3 A-Levels and handful of GCSEs, I was desperate to have a gap year rather than go straight onto University. Unfortunately my Mum wasn't so keen and said I could only have a gap year if I did something 'useful'.

She talked me into doing a secretarial/admin diploma at the local college, telling me I'd be able to earn money as a student by using the skills I'd gained (I waited tables and worked behind a bar like the other students instead!) so I signed up.

I also moved into my first flatshare - an eccentric, wonderful house in Worcester with 2 blokes, 1 girl, a 'housecat' (a flatmate who unofficially lived there too - on the sofa) and a tramp who occasionally kipped in our cellar (one of the flatmates lined it, floor to ceiling, with silver bubble wrap that he'd nicked from the factory where he worked).

Although the course was boring and I had to take a bar job at a local hotel to be able to afford my rent it was probably one of the best years of my life. I learnt to feed myself (wouldn't really call it cooking), had adventures, met wonderful people of all different ages and backgrounds and had my heart broken for the very first time. Basically I grew up and you can't get much better preparation for Uni than that!

This song reminds me of the tiny, little, single-bed room I had in that house:



What song remind you of somewhere special?

5 comments:

womagwriter said...

Blondie's Sunday Girl. Reminds me of the job I had as a sports centre attendant when I was 18-21 in the holidays from university. One summer I worked the Sunday shift with Big Lorraine, and at the end of the day we had to swill down the changing rooms. We'd sing Sunday Girl as we wielded our mops.

Elaine AM Smith said...

Great post! I loved the question.
I'd have to say: PM Dawn's Set Adrift on Memory Bliss of You - smooching with m'Babe, in the first house we called ours (and only the bank disagreed ;) )

Bernadette said...

'Goodbye Stranger' by Supertramp always reminds me of the time I spent chambermaiding in a hotel up the Eiger in Switzerland before being sacked for dropping spoons on a nun's head.
It's a long story...

Cally said...

Womag - I LOVE that image! You and 'Big Lorraine' swilling down changing rooms to Sunday Girl. There's something quite filmic about it!

Elaine - Oh my god, Set Adrift on Memory Bliss! That takes me back!

Bernadette - Now there's a story I want the full version of! Brilliant! Am totally intruiged!

Queenie said...

'Murder On The Dance Floor' sung by Sophie Ellis-Bextor, which was playing everywhere during my first holiday in Greece with N - always takes me straight back there.