Wednesday, 9 March 2011

A Delivery! and 30 Day Music Challenge - Day 9

Today I took delivery of something I've been waiting for for a while - the Czech version of 'Heaven Can Wait'.

It's been out since last year but copies have only just winged their way to me (huge thanks to Clare, the Foreign Rights Manager, for chasing them up for me).

It means that, as soon as I get copies of Macedonia's version, I'll be up-to-date and have copies of all the versions that have been published so far!

The Czech version is a hardback and comes with a little inbuilt cloth bookmark - love that!

While I'm sharing images here's one of the books I've managed to collect so far. Sorry it's a bit tricky to make out but it's impossibly dark in my hallway!

From l to r: HCW Croatia, Himmelskusse Germany (novel 2), HCW Germany, HCW UK Proof, HCW UK, HCW Czech Republic, HCW China , HCW Spain.














Now back to the Music Challenge! Big thanks to Bernadette, Womag, Nik, Elaine, Karen, Colene, Captain Black and Samantha for joining in in the comments. I'm loving reading about your songs!

So, today's challenge is...

To name a song you can dance to.

That I can dance to?

*cue hysterical laughter*

Er...I can't dance to anything. I mean, I can wave my arms/hips/legs around in a vaguely rhythmical manner but that not exactly a dance routine is it! I used to know the Birdy Song moves when I was a kid - does that count?

No?

Okay then. In that case I'm going to go for the last song that had me charging - drunkenly - towards the dance floor (you won't catch me anywhere near the dance floor unless alcohol, and lots of it, is involved).

The event was a mate's wedding last September and the song in question was 'Poison' by Alice Cooper! Last summer I went to a metal festival - Sonisphere - with a mate. On the way up there we listened to albums by some of the bands that were going to be playing - Iron Maiden, Placebo, Skunk Anansie, Alice in Chains etc and when my friend threw on an Alice Cooper CD I started laughing. The guy was a joke - wasn't he? Funny how I knew a lot of his songs though...

When he played live he was just BRILLIANT and the whole crowd shouted along to Poison. In fact the only other song that came close to uniting the entire field that weekend was when Europe sang 'The Final Countdown' - a moment that makes me grin inanely whenever I remember it!

Anyway, when Poison was played at my friend's wedding last year I was on the dance floor like a shot, despite the fact that I was the only person dancing other than one friend and the bride!*



Your turn! Which song can always charm you out of your seat and onto your feet?

*You couldn't get me off after that!

10 comments:

Bernadette said...

I was going to say I didn't think I'd ever danced to Alice Cooper, but I expect there were occasions when School's Out got me on my feet.

I'm showing my age here as I was definitely a late 70's/early 80's disco diva and anything from that era will do it - Earth Wind and Fire, Kool and the Gang, Bee Gees, Hot Chocolate, The Tavares, Donna Summer etc etc.

But to pick just one I'll go for Night Fever (as I used to know all thw moves).

Oh, and I have to have December '63(Frankie Valli) as well or my sister will kill me as we spent many a happy Saturday evening dancing along to that.

(Am I being greedy now? Can you see that you've found my level?)

Bernadette said...

Sorry, so carried away I forgot to say how absolutely lovely your wonderful row of books looks!

Nik Perring said...

Ooh, top song!

But, me? Dance? Not likely. Which is for the best.

Actually, the last time I remember giving it a go was many years ago to Wig Wam Bam, or however it's spelled. Oh. The. Shame.

LilyS said...

What a wonderful collection of books!

I think you would call it more involutary spasms rather than dancing but the song always guaranteed to get me on the dance floor is 'Dont stop me now' by Queen. Love it.

womagwriter said...

WHen I'm with my sister-in-law, it's Sister Sledge, We Are Family (I got all my sisters with me) which will get us up, every time, especially if we have the other (American) sis-in-law with us!

Great book shelf, Cally! Love all the foreign editions. Espcially love that the word verification is forrin to go along with the photo.

Sunny Smith said...

Not that I can dance, but I do find my head bobbing, and my foot tapping to:
"I Like It" Enrique Iglesias (feat. Pitbull)

or

"Loca (English version)" Shakira (feat. Dizzee Rascal)

Cally said...

Bernadette - Those exact same songs are songs I danced to in clubs in Brighton in my young, free and single 20s! I used to love a bit of disco :)

Nik - Funny that, I don't imagine you as much of a dancer either. With all that Suede loving maybe a bit of shoe gazing instead? ;) Wig Wam Bam? Huh? *googles*

Lily - Involuntary spasms! Ha, that made me snigger out loud.

Womag - 'We are Family' was a song I put on the reception playlist I made for my friend's wedding last year. It was supposed to get all the girls on the dancefloor, arms around each other, shouting at the top of their voices. Unfortunately the bride left before it came on! Doh!

Sunny - Foot tapping and head bobbing definitely counts as dancing, especially if you're driving or in a public, non-dancing, place like a train or the street! :)

Nik Perring said...

As I said, Oh. The. Shame. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63CiRbiaoFo

Cally said...

Nik - *laughs* Isn't that the song where people do that weird elbow dancing move to it? I sincerely hope you were drunk! :)

Queenie said...

Pretty much anything by Michael Jackson. And 'Sledgehammer' by Peter Gabriel. And any ceilidh band with a good caller.