Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Propp's 31 Functions & 30 Day Music Challenge - Day 8

A quick writing aside before I get to the music challenge...

Am I the only writer who'd never heard of Propp's 31 Functions?

I was talking to the boyfriend about the Hero's journey the other day and mentioned how Star Wars is a classic example of a film that uses the same structure.

"Oh yeah," he said, "Star Wars pretty much includes all 31 of Propp's functions too."

*cue confused face from me and a spot of googling*

It turns out that, some time ago, a Russian scholar called Vladimir Propp decided to analyse the structure of fairytales and came up with a list of 31 functions of the 'typical' fairytale or a 'typology of narrative structure'.

As someone who used the Hero's Journey as a rough basis for my first novel ('Heaven Can Wait') I was fascinated by this new discovery and I'm mulling over whether it's something I might be able to use or modify in the future.

Take a look if you're curious!

Now back to the 30 Day Music Challenge.

Day 8 is all about:

A song you know all the words to...

Like a lot of women who were teenagers in the 80s I was a HUGE Madonna fan (and when I saw her in Desperately Seeking Susan I desperately wanted to be her).

Pocket money was tight and I didn't have a huge selection of albums to play in my Sony Walkman. As a result I used to listen to the albums that I did own over and over and over and over again. Sod listing a song I know all the words to, there are probably several ALBUMS I could quote verbatim.

But the challenge says 'a song' so here's one. From the album of the same name it's 'Like a Virgin' by Madonna!



Your go! What song(s) do you know know all the words to?

8 comments:

LilyS said...

great link, thanks for posting it. I had a similiar conversation with a work mate the other day as radio one had decided to play 'The Fresh Prince of Bel Air' theme tune (not really a song but it was played on the radio and i still know all the words to it.)

Bernadette said...

I learned 'Up on the Roof' (James Taylor again) for a singing class and I still know all the words to that.

It always surprises me how I can sing along to hits from decades ago that I haven't heard for years and still know a good chunk, if not all, of the words. Especially when these days I mostly forget just about everything else.

Cally said...

LilyS - I'm impressed, there's rapping in Fresh Prince isn't there?!

Bernadette - Weird isn't it? I'm rubbish at remembering the plot of films (and a lot of novels I've read) but I still remember the words to a song I loved when I was 14!

womagwriter said...

Never heard of the 31 functions! Will check out the links.


I know all the words to Bohemian Rhapsody. It came out first when I was about 10, and I bought a copy of a music mag which had the lyrics in, and learned them off by heart then.

LilyS said...

There is rapping Cally but I do not sound or look cool at all!

Nik Perring said...

That Propp thingumy's fascinating! Thanks for flagging it up!

Cally said...

Nik - Glad you found it useful. I found it fascinating reading too.

Queenie said...

I'd never heard of the Propp 31 Functions thing either. I know all the words to too many songs. Yep, Bohemian Rhapsody. Most of David Bowie's oeuvre, the majority of Beatles songs, an awful lot of Simon and Garfunkel, some Neil Diamond (sorry), every single word of the Carly Simon 'No Secrets' album, almost every word of the Love 'Forever Changes' album... this is getting embarrassing, I'm going to stop now.