Friday, 13 May 2011

Copy edits. Moving on. And news of a competition...

After a bit of a nudge from the trade paperback editor to hurry up (in the nicest possible way!) I finally finished reading aloud novel 2 and sent in completed my copy edits. Now I just have to wait and see if they're given the ok.

I'm itching to see what the revised cover looks like. I saw a draft last year which was lovely and very similar in style to 'Heaven Can Wait' but that was before we decided to set the novel at Christmas time. Now I'm imagining snowflakes and sparkles!

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before but, unlike 'Heaven Can Wait' which was set in North London, 'Home for Christmas' is set in Brighton. I've lived in Brighton for the last 13 years (the longest I've lived anywhere) and I love the place, know it inside out and many of the pubs, restaurants and cinemas mentioned in the book will ring a bell with people who live here. Unfortunately however, I'm not going to be around in October to drum up local interest in the book because...

...in just under 3 weeks time I'm moving to Bristol!

Although I'll miss Brighton, especially in the summer (not much beats a BBQ on the beach), I'm really excited about this move. It'll be the start of an exciting new era in my life and I'm sure there are many amazing adventures to be had in and around the city. Any of my blog readers live there, or nearby?

It's a good job I've handed in my copy edits because I'm off to a writing retreat in Nice the week before I move house (I know, I've never been very good at being sensible!) and I'm finally going to start Project B. I'm hugely looking forward to hanging out with my old screenwriting tutor (who's going to get us to do 'right brained exercises' each morning) and meeting some new writers. Then there's the fact the villa's got a swimming pool. Mmmm.....

I promised news of a competition in the title so here we go... the Alan Titchmarsh show, in conjunction with HarperCollins is running a competition to find 'The People's Novelist'. A similar competition was run in 2009 with Orion to find 'The People's Author' (fellow blogger Kate Lord Brown was a finalist and appeared on TV!) . Unlike 2009, however, it looks like they're looking for commercial fiction this time rather than a memoir. For more details see The Bookseller article here. Best of luck if you enter!

Any tips for staying sane when moving from one city to another? It's been a long time since I last did it...

5 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

Exciting times are ahead for you, Cally. Hope it all goes well and thanks again for sharing my pain earlier in the year!

Sue Guiney said...

I'm moving too, but from 1 part of the city to another. But I know that when I moved across the street (literally) it was just as hard as when I moved across the globe. It's never easy and I'm dreading it. My only solace is that it will eventually be o er, and then I'll be in my exciting new place. I may be surrounded by boxes, but I'll be there! And so will you!

Cally said...

Chris - My pleasure. No matter how hard the slog there is light at the end of the tunnel...you just have to dig bloody hard to find it! ;)

Sue - I think you're right. Wherever you're moving to you still have to pack stuff up, throw stuff out and generally pull your hair out. But yes, focussing on the future (actually being moved in) is good advice. Good luck with your move!

Kelly said...

Good luck with the move and everything else. Stay in touch on Twitter, I will love to know how you are getting on.

Debs Carr said...

I can't wait to read your new book when it comes out.

Hope the move goes well and you have a relaxing time on your writing retreat. Such exciting times.