Tuesday, 12 July 2011

Rough drafts and thick skins

This time it's my turn to do a guest post on someone else's blog!

Back in April writer and Writers' Forum competition compiler Sally Quilford challenged the writing world to try and write 80,000 words in 80 days, starting on 1st May 2011. Over 100 writers signed up and she's been encouraging and writing alongside them ever since on the blog she set up especially for the challenge - 80kwords80days.blogspot.com.

When she asked if any writers wanted to contribute a guest blog I stuck my hand in the air. While I haven't written 80k in 80 days, or even a NaNoWriMo 50k in 30 days, I did write the first draft of Heaven Can Wait as fast as I could (roughly 99k in 105 days) and know how hard it is to keep your motivation up.

So here's my post on 'Rough Drafts and Thick Skins'. It's about the importance of writing a fast, dirty first draft and saving the polishing for your edits. In other words, as I wrote in the guest post, "if you read your first draft back and think ‘this is shit’, that’s absolutely the RIGHT thing to think."

http://80kwords80days.blogspot.com/2011/07/guest-blog-8-cally-taylor-rough-drafts.html

No comments: