Friday, 22 July 2011

The secret to falling in love with your novel again...

...is holding the bound proof/Advanced Review Copy in your hands for the first time.

It arrived today and I actually gasped when I opened the package.

I've seen a pencil sketch of the actual cover - it's completely different to this one - and I know this cover is just temporary (a bound proof is for marketing/PR purposes and isn't for sale) and the 'real' book isn't out until 10th November but it's just so damned pretty!

And pink!

And the tag line - 'All she wants for Christmas are three little words' - is just perfect!

Not only that but, all of a sudden, the 90,000 or so words I've rewritten and edited fifteen million times over the last two years (okay so I'm exaggerating slightly but I did put a hell of a lot of work into this novel) are suddenly real.

They're not just part of my laptop they an actual, proper, you-can-turn-the-pages-and-everything BOOK!

There have been times over the last few years where I would quite happily have thrown this novel (if it existed outside of my laptop) against the nearest wall but now I just want to stroke it and stare at it (I'll draw the line at coo-ing!) and carry it around with me.

I know people compare books to babies and even the mother of the ugliest baby in the world thinks it's beautiful, so excuse the gushing. I'm ever-so-slightly in love.

16 comments:

B said...

Aw, what a lovely post :)
Having just re-read Heaven Can Wait, I'm especially looking forward to reading this again!

B said...

Again? Blame the sleep deprivation :) I mean for the first time obviously!!

Cally said...

B - did you catch the name of my main character? She was nearly named Beth Anderson b/c there was a scene that referred to the Matrix 'hello Miss Anderson...' and then I thought 'hang on, Beth Anderson, that name sounds familiar!!

Cally said...

And the Matrix scene ended up on the editing room floor!

pierre l said...

Congratulations and hurray for the new book

Cally said...

Thanks Pierre!

B said...

Wow, how exciting! No I missed the link before so didn't read - sounds really good!

Bizarrely I have had a main character named completely after me! One of my friends from Uni wrote a novel (really good, but unfortunately never got anywhere) and named his m/c Beth after me and Anderson because of the Matrix connotations... having known me before I got married he hadn't realised that meant the character had my full name! It was exciting - and I still hope that one day it gets published :)

Nik Perring said...

Looking good!

Beth Kemp said...

What a lovely cover. I think that's why you have the lull between frenzied writing/editing and having an actual book in your actual hands - to give you time to forgive it all the frustrations!

Beth Kemp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth Kemp said...

sorry for the deleted comment. Blogger did it twice for some reason and I forgot deleting it didn't delete it (if you see what I mean) :)

Chris Stovell said...

Congratulations on the arrival of this lovely baby! So good to see it out in the world after the early tribulations.

Josefine said...

Beautiful cover. Congratulations! Can't wait for this one as well.

Mama J said...

What an inspirational post.

I think I will put this page in my favourites and then whenever I'm having one of my frequent doubting sessions and/or writer's block, I can look at your post and imagine holding my own book.

Cally said...

Nik - Thank you!

Beth - That's a great theory. I like it! :)

Chris - The baby is all healthy and pink! ;)

Josefine - Thank you! Hope you like it! *she said nervously*

MamaJ - What a lovely thing to say. There really is nothing quite like seeing your words/story as a proper finished book for the first time. And then stalking it around various shops ;)

Faction Rock said...

your blog is very nice but, this blog is very use full for grow your website