Thursday, 22 September 2011

A bit of this and that...

Not much to report but I thought I should do a quick catch-up blog post as today was the day I was planning on typing 'THE END' on Project B after a 10,000 words a week x 7 weeks mad first draft dash (a challenge I set myself back in August).

The truth is that slicing my thumb open, getting PR/marketing in place for 'Home for Christmas' and tending to TopSecretProject have prevented me from achieving my goal. No 'The End' for this author but I am about 29% of the way through the first draft (roughly 21,000 / 70,000 words) and I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

Having said that I do feel a bit of (internal) pressure to get it finished asap but think that's more to do with the fear/worry that someone else will write, and publish, a similar novel before I can get this one 'out there'. I had a similar fear with 'Heaven Can Wait' and several heart stopping moments as I was writing the first draft when someone would mention that a TV show or novel was 'similar'. The worry was unfounded. The fact is that no one is going to write EXACTLY the same novel as you and, even if their novel DOES propel the author straight into the bestseller charts, it doesn't mean that your novel won't get picked up too (publishers do like a bandwagon!).

A couple of blog posts have attracted my attention this week. There's this one by Cassandra, a literary agent intern, about word counts and how they differ between different genres etc:

http://www.camarshall.com/2011/09/word-count-guidelines.html

And this one by Adele Ward about how an advance can ruin an author:

http://adeleward.blogspot.com/2011/09/why-advance-can-ruin-author.html?spref=fb

Thought provoking stuff I thought.

1 comment:

₮Ⱨ₤ Ɫ€₲₤₦Ḑ ⱷ₣ ₮Ⱨ₤ ₱Ɫ₳₦€₮ said...

Hey there.....

Great Post, I have a blog and I really need some professional writers to help me if that will be possible! ..... Here's the link: http://thelegendoftheplanet.blogspot.com

see you there ... thanks,