Sunday, 12 February 2012

Workshops, flashes & self-publishing

Life is hectic right now - 90% baby wrangling, 5% sleeping when he sleeps (hello sofa we meet again) and 5% writing - so just a brief blog update.

First of all I'm delighted to announce that my flash 'Dear Universe...' has been chosen to go into the anthology (which may or may not be called 'Juke Box Stories) that Caroline Smailes is putting together for the charity One on Four (see previous post for details). Caroline had over 350 stories sent in and only 100 made the cut so I'm very chuffed.

Talking of Caroline get yourself over to her Blog to read Mel Sherratt's inspirational tale about being rejected by multiple publishers and making it to the Kindle top 10 when she decided to go it alone and self-publish.

And while we're on the subject of talented women my good friend Helen Hunt is running some more short story workshops. Helen knows her stuff and comes highly recommended. See below for details...

Insight Into The Women’s Magazine Fiction Market – 3 March 2012

This workshop will look at writing for the increasingly tough and sadly shrinking women’s magazine market. So if you’ve been writing for a while and want to find out more about this market, this workshop could be for you.
Lunch and light refreshments are included. The cost of the course is £35 which also includes a critique.

Moving On Short Story Workshop – 31 March 2012

This course will be practically based and will help participants work towards the first draft of a story for their chosen women’s magazine market. They will receive a critique of their story once they have had a chance to finish it after the course.
Lunch and light refreshments are included. The cost of the course is £40 which also includes a critique.

New for 2012
Day Retreat For Writers – 28 April 2012

Come and spend a day with fellow writers being inspired, exercising your writing skills and sharing your work in a supportive atmosphere at Delapre Abbey. I’m a short story writer, but all writers are welcome to come to this one and benefit from meeting other writers in a supportive atmosphere.
The cost of the retreat is £22. Lunch is not included but you’ll be able to purchase refreshments from the Abbey Tea Room.
All these courses are held in Northampton and full details are on my website http://www.helenmhunt.co.uk/

Online services
For anyone who can’t make it to a workshop, I now offer the totally flexible Hop On Hop Off online course (details here http://www.helenmhunt.co.uk/?page_id=37 ) and a critique service (details here http://www.helenmhunt.co.uk/?page_id=15 ).

So what have I been up to? Well I mentioned at the top of this post that I can only dedicate 5% of my time to writing at the moment so I am thinking very hard about what novel 3 should be about before I start writing it. My deal with Orion was a two book deal and now those 2 books have been published there needs to be a conversation about what happens next. Maddy, my agent, and I need book 3 to be my best book yet before that conversation happens so I've been drawing up synopsises and sample chapters for her and we've been discussing their strengths and weaknesses via email. Sounds scary? It is really. I'm back in the same boat as everyone else chasing a publishing contract although I've now got a track history (unfortunately not one on the bestseller list or I'd be a lot less nervous! ;))

So yes, apologies if the blog is quiet for some time. I've got a lot on my plate at the moment (and some of it looks like carrot puree ;))


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Carolyn Jess-Cooke said...

good luck Cally, have no doubt you'll get there xx

Cally said...

Thanks Carolyn :)