Friday, 20 April 2012

What does an agent do?

It's been forever since I last updated my blog. Huge apologies but baby wrangling takes up 90% of my day and in the other 10% I have to choose between sleep and writing novel 3 (I am chronically sleep deprived but novel 3 is over 12,000 words long and counting...) so there isn't much time for blogging or tweeting. I briefly flirted with 'Draw Something' but have had to ditch that too, it's far too addictive!

Anyway, just a quick blog to let you know that I am no longer with the Darley Anderson agency. My agent, Madeleine Buston, left in March to set up her own agent - the Madeleine Milburn TV, film & literary agency - and I decided to go with her. I will forever be indebted to Darley for plucking the manuscript for HEAVEN CAN WAIT from the slush pile and giving it a chance but Maddy is the agent I've worked hand in hand with since 2008 and we've built up a fantastic relationship. She's also got me some incredible deals so it was a bit of a no brainer really!

The good news is that Maddy is actively searching for new authors to represent so why not visit her website and see if you think she'll be a good match for your novel? Her blog is an invaluable read too, especially the posts she's writing at the moment about what an agent does. More info here:

http://madeleinemilburn.com/blog/

Got to go. Time to put the baby down for his nap and get on with novel 3. Now, where did I stash the Diet Coke...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Christy McKellen said...

Hi Cally

I feel your pain. It's really hard juggling parenting and writing. I try to stuff in as much writing as I can at lunchtimes too (whilst trying to ignore Bargain Hunt and the latest novel on my Kindle.)

I love my kids to bits but I do sometimes wonder if I'll ever get any time to myself again :)

It also doesn't help that the sun is finally shining again here in Bristol. Too many distractions...

Thanks for the heads-up about Madeleine, she sounds like a fab agent.

All the best
Christy

Cally said...

You're in Bristol too? Excellent! Think I might take the baby to the park when he wakes up if the sunshine holds. It's not like I can work on my novel while he's awake anyway! How old are your children?

Christy McKellen said...

Hi

Yes, I'm in Redland.

Park sounds like a good idea, we have to grab any opportunity in the sun we can! My mother in law warned me it was a rainy place when we moved here about 5 years ago. It's worth it though, I love it here. There's always something going on, people make things happen here. Did you catch the chocolate festival the other weekend? (Dangerous).

My youngest loves swings - unfortunately she's 15kg already at 17 months and my back has given up on me ;(

My other two are at school till 3.30pm - they're six and four.

Good luck with the book
Christy x

Mama J said...

Writing and young children don't mix! I have a 3 year old at home with me all day so I have to write in the evenings when my kids are in bed. Couldn't have done that when they were babies though - I needed all my free time to sleep.