Wednesday, 2 January 2013

New Year, New Novel!

Well, I've started it - the 100,000 words in 100 days challenge (see previous post for details) and, so far, two days in, I'm on track! Current word count for novel 4 is 2,300 words.

Unlike novel 3, which I outlined in detail before writing, I'm totally 'pantsing' this one. I know the structure I need to use and I know what happens in the end and a few twists and turns I need to include on the way but that's about it! It's scary and exciting at the same time (not least because the last novel I 'pantsed' was HEAVEN CAN WAIT') and each time I sit down to add another 1,000 words I think 'oh god, what am I going to write?' but then, after I've written my 1,000 words, I'm buzzing because the novel has revealed something new to me.

Only 98,000 words to go...

I should mention that it's relatively easy to find the time to write at the moment as I'm not back at work until next week (so I can write during the Spudling's two hour lunchtime nap) but it'll be decidedly more tricky from next Monday! As I mentioned in my last blog post I also want to find the time to exercise this year so I need to squeeze everything in. My great plan? I drop the Spudling at his childminder at 8am. I can get home by 8.10am if I don't fanny about having a chat which gives me 50 minutes to write before I need to start the day job (I'm lucky to work from home apart from Tuesday). I'll then work from 9am until 12, then do a Wii or DVD workout in the living room for half an hour and then have lunch. More work from 1pm until 5pm then I pick up the Spudling. And if I don't meet my 1,000 word quota in the morning I finish writing after Spudling's gone to bed and me and Mr Metal have had dinner. Easy! *cough* I think this might be one hell of a knackering year but I'm going to give it my best shot!

What have you got planned?

11 comments:

Crystal Jigsaw said...

I'm looking forward to reading this novel, I love your work, Cally. You are in for a busy year but I reckon it'll be worth it. Good luck!

CJ x

Inspiral Daze said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

You are Wonderwoman! I love that you're factoring star jumps into your writing regime :)

Guy Saville said...

I feel exhausted just reading this! Good luck with your 100K in 100 days, Cally. I have to admit that type of workload would probably be too much for me... then again Book 2 would have been finished a lot earlier if I followed yr example.

Happy New Year!

Colette McCormick said...

Sounds like a plan.

Mama J said...

Sounds hectic! Good luck with your 100k in 100 days challenge.

Cally Taylor said...

Crystal - Thank you, that's very kind.

Jen - that made me laugh out loud! Star jumping author, my new name!

Guy - it's too much for me too but there's no other way of getting a book written. As I'm 'pantsing' this one I'll probably need the rest of the year to rewrite it! Hopefully not from scratch like you do because that really would be too much!

Colette - fingers crossed it works!

MamaJ - thanks missus :)

Teresa Stenson said...

Inspiring stuff, Cally - lots of luck to you.

I'm eyeballing a new project but need to grab it and start it now. Now!

Captain Black said...

I know you'll achieve your goals because you're The Fragilistic One (are you bored with me saying that yet?).

I'm going to work on my Splinters trilogy, that I started for NaNoWriMo 2012.

Cally Taylor said...

Teresa - Have you started yet? It's been 24 hours since you commented? ;)

Captain - I could never be bored of you Capt'n! Good stuff with Splinters and well done on NaNoWriMo.

Catharine Withenay said...

Wow! I found NaNoWriMo tough, so you really have set yourself a challenge and a half! Good luck squeezing everything in!