Tuesday, 23 April 2013

Editor meeting, 100k and a summery short story

Somewhere in the excitement of my book deal news (see previous post) I completely forgot to mention that I completed Sally Quilford's 100,000 words in 100 days challenge! I'd be lying if I said it wasn't really hard work. There were several moments when I felt like throwing in the towel because I was putting so much pressure on myself to write 1,000 words a day no matter what that I started to feel quite stressed (and stressed and writing aren't good bed fellows) but I persevered because I'm stubborn and, when I set myself a challenge, I have to see it through. Anyway, I'm delighted I did complete the challenge now as the first draft of novel 4 now stands at 82,000 words! I've still got another 20,000 words or so to add before I type 'the end' but I don't have to deliver it to my editor until September 2014 so I'm WAY ahead of schedule (which is a good job because it's going to need a hell of a rewrite!).

Talking of my editor - I met her for the first time last Friday. She took me and Maddy (my agent) out to lunch in Chelsea and I spent a lovely couple of hours chatting to her about everything from children's books to sleep deprivation to difficult female friendships (a theme of my 4th book) to breastfeeding (poor Lydia, I told her some real horror stories!). I was buzzing when I travelled home on the train (and not just because we'd shared a bottle of Rose) and I can't wait to see what my future publishing career with Avon HarperCollins will bring.

I've got two weeks until Lydia gives me the edits for 'The Accident' and I'm going to spend the time having a well deserved break from writing. Last week I typed 'the end' on a 6,500 word short story called 'Mr Lover Lover' for Belinda Jones's Sunlounger anthology (out this summer, I'll post when it's available to buy)and I've finally started catching up on my reading. On my TBR pile is 'Wicked Girls' by Alex Marwood, 'Dear Thing' by Julie Cohen and 'Dearest Rose' by Rowan Coleman.

What are you reading?

5 comments:

womagwriter said...

All good stuff! I really don't know how you get it all done. Well done on the 82,000 words as well!

Liz Fenwick said...

Brilliant news and well done! I'm reading Dear Thing at the moment...excellent!
lx

Georgina Troy said...

I look forward to reading The Accident and Mr Lover Lover. Enjoy your writing break, you sound as if you deserve it.

Mama J said...

Massive congratulations on completing the challenge!

I've read Dearest Rose and really enjoyed it.

Enjoy your break x

Brittany Oldroyd said...

Congrats! I'm a writer too so I totally get all that :)