Tuesday, 9 April 2013

I've got a new book deal! And a new name!

I am absolutely TERRIBLE at keeping secrets so I'm delighted to finally announce that...

I've got a new 2 book deal with Avon HarperCollins for my psychological suspense novels! (see the press announcement here: http://www.booktrade.info/index.php/showarticle/46596)

And they're going to be published by Sourcebooks in the States too!

Back in March 2012, when I was on maternity leave with the Spudling, I took the somewhat scary decision to write a novel that wasn't chicklit.

AN END TO SILENCE (or 'THE ACCIDENT' as Avon have re-christened it) had been swimming around my brain since the first 1,000 words won the RNA Elizabeth Goudge award in the summer of 2011 and I just had to finish it.

With two published chicklit novels behind me writing  a third might have been a more sensible move but I've never been terribly sensible and I've always had a bit of a split personality when it comes to writing. There's the lighthearted chicklit/womag side to me and then there's the darker literary fiction/psychological suspense side, and that side was dying to see the light of day again. I was also hugely, horribly sleep deprived (the Spudling woke me every two hours at night for the first 7 months of his life) and I knew the only way to keep myself sane was to write.

I wrote the first draft of THE ACCIDENT in six months - pouring in all my new fears (that something would happen to my child that I couldn't prevent) and all my old fears (that a sociopathic ex boyfriend would reappear in my life) and I sent it to my agent at the end of last year, utterly terrified she'd tell me that it was drivel and that maybe I should have a good night's sleep and reconsider my writing career instead.

I must have clicked refresh on my email inbox a hundred, thousand times in the next five days!

When an email did reply I nearly exploded with relief. Maddy didn't hate what I'd written, she LOVED it. She said it was the best thing that I've ever written.

(I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried when I read that).

And now someone else loves THE ACCIDENT as much as Maddy and I - my new editor Lydia NewHouse at Avon HarperCollins (who publish bestsellers like Miranda Dickinson, Mhairi MacFarlane and Alex Walters) - and I'm utterly delighted that it's going to be published, under my new pseudonym C.L. Taylor, in June 2014.

And it's going to be published in the USA too. The USA! I have always, always, dreamed of getting a book published in the States and now it's going to happen. And in Germany (Piper). And Italy (Longanesi). And Poland (Proszynski). And Brazil (Bertrand Brasil).

I'm aware I probably sound like Little Miss Showy Off Pants with this post but 2012 was craptastic for so many, many reasons (I'm not exaggerating when I say it was the worst year of my life) and I hoped and I prayed that 2013 would be better.

It looks like it is...

28 comments:

Deborah Carr said...

WOW! Go, you! Huge congratulations, though how you managed to do all this with your lovely little baby to look after I've no idea. x

Bernadette said...

That's fantastic news! Well done you!

And it isn't showing off at all - we need to know these things!!

B x

Sarah*G* said...

Congratulations! I am looking forward to buying your book at my local bookstore here in the US. Be a lot easier than waiting for Amazon UK to ship it to me! :)

Sally Quilford said...

This is wonderful news, Cally! Congratulations indeed. xxx

Cathy said...

Congratulations Cally, that is fantastic news.

Kam said...

Congratulations!! Onwards and upwards :)

Jenny Beattie said...

FANTASTIC. I can't wait to read it! Congratulations. xx

Suzanne Furness said...

Congratulations, Cally, sounds great and so exciting :)

Helen said...

Oh you've got me all emotional. Congratulations, Cally. I'm so proud of you. Absolutely fabulous news xxx

Debi said...

So, so SO happy for you! Mega congrats! xx

Fionnuala said...

Cally, I've been reading this post holding my breath and then saying wow every few sentences! Many congrats - it's not easy to switch genre when you've had the success you've had but its obviously the right thing to have done. I wish you loads and loads and loads more success with it x

Elaine Smith said...

Congratulations, to you both ;)

Karen said...

That's SO exciting Cally, I'm absolutely thrilled for you and can't wait to read The Accident :o) xx

Tam said...

Hurrah! So pleased for you, Cally!

Mama J said...

Fabulous news! Can't wait to read it.

Scarlet Wilson said...

Huge congrats cally, fabulous news!

Cally Taylor said...

Debs - Looking back I'm not quite sure how I managed it either!

Bernadette - Aw, thank you. Kick me up the bum if I DO ever sound showy offy though, won't you?

Sarah*G* - Oooh I SO need a photo if you do! Don't imagine I'll get to see my book in US stores in person, more's the pity!

Sally - No thank YOU, Sally. I wouldn't be so close to finishing the first draft of the 2nd book without your challenge.

Cathy - Thank you

Kam - I do hope so!

Jenny - Really hope it doesn't disappoint! Eeek!

Suzanne - I'm very excited. I haven't overused exclamation marks and smileys like this for quite a while! ;)

Helen - I felt quite emotional typing that entry too!

Cally Taylor said...

Debi - Thank you

Fionnuala - Oooh, does that mean I kept you in suspense? That HAS to be a good omen! ;)

Elaine - thank you!

Karen - I do hope you like it. I'm nervous about people reading it already!

Tam - thank you sweetheart x

MamaJ - thank you!

Scarlet - Cheers lovely!

Natalie Beare said...

I am absolutely over the moon for you honey! Properly chuffed. Wow.

I love psychological, suspense thrillers and am sure writing it sleep deprived will have added another level of depth to it!

Well done honey. You're amazing. Xx

Rena George said...

Absolutely wonderful, Cally. I'm so pleased for you.

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Yay! Congrats! :)

Guy Saville said...

Fantastic news, CL Taylor (I'm curious what the L stands for now!).

I have a friend published by Sourcebooks in US and they're v. good at shifting lots of copies.

Does this news mean a new and moody author photo?

Hope things continue to get even better in 2013 for you...

:o)

Sue Guiney said...

This is such wonderful news! Huge congrats!!

Rebecca Alexander said...

What fantastic news (though not that much of a surprise to those of us who love your writing, to be fair!) Enjoy being a 'Little Miss Showy Off Pants' as long as you can. I love psychological thrillers and am looking forward to reading yours...Reb x

Captain Black said...

Well done Cally.

I'm looking forward to reading your new books. I think the change of genre will suit me, as long as C.L. Taylor doesn't mean "chick lit" Taylor!

Chris Stovell said...

I'm absolutely delighted for you, Cally. It's lovely, optimistic, inspiring news. Many congratulations!

Cally Taylor said...

Nat - cheers sweetheart! Loved that you commented, hope you like the book.

Rena - Thank you so much

Jessica - Cheers!

Guy - L stands for Lucifer, all part of my new persona! ;) Yep, hopefully get new author pics taken in May. Great news about Sourcebooks, I heard they're very good at launching author's careers in the States.

Sue - thank you!

Rebecca - thank you so much. I've been waiting for my good news since reading yours!

Captain - one day I'll get a 5 star review off you! ;)

Chris - thank you lovely, means the world to know people are rooting for me. X

womagwriter said...

OH MY GOD how did I miss this news! Amazing, brilliant, WELL DONE!