Friday, 6 September 2013

Win a 'box of wishes' of your own!


I've been blown away by the response to my short story collection 'Secrets and Rain' - not because my sales have been through the roof or made any bestseller lists but because people have said such lovely things about the book. One story in particular seems to have touched people more deeply than the rest (and made several book bloggers cry!). That story is 'The Little Box of Wishes' and this giveaway is all about that story.

Whenever I have a novel published I buy myself a little something - a picture, a pair of earrings, a charm for my bracelet - and so I found myself browsing Ebay the other day, looking for something to celebrate this publication.

When I found this book book-shaped box, with a lock and key, I instantly fell in love:






It so reminded me of the 'Little Box of Wishes' I had in mind when I wrote the story that I had to buy it. When it arrived today I couldn't stop stroking it but then I thought about all the readers who have contacted me to tell why that story meant so much to them and figured that maybe I should give the box away instead.

Who knows, maybe whoever wins it will make it their own 'little box' and lock some wishes inside. Or maybe they'll keep nik-naks in it or just put it on the shelf and think 'I won that!'.

Anyway, I'm giving it away before I change my mind! And if you'd like to enter (and please do!) then just use the Rafflecopter form below and I'll use Random.org to pick the winner on Sunday 15th September.

Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

20 comments:

Wendy's Writing said...

I loved The Little Box of Wishes, Cally, and will definitely enter the raffle.

AJ Waines said...

My secret is I love things under lock and key - little chests and boxes, locked diaries, locked cellars, padlocks - you name it. Please enter me for your lovely box!!

Jennifer Joyce said...

I'm not a fan of rain, especially when I HAVE to go out in it but I do have one fab memory from a couple of years ago. My two daughters and I had had to go out (in the rain) and on the way back we passed a massive puddle that always seems to form near our house. We were already wet and in our wellies so I looked at the puddle and thought, why not? We spent ages splashing in the puddle and I must have looked liked a lunatic but it was great fun.

Tishylou said...

You know how much I loved this book and this story in particular. I couldn't say enough good things about it (once I'd stopped crying). This box is gorgeous and I know exactly what I'd use it for. Xxx

Joanna (Lazuli Portals) said...

Now that I write short stories, I enjoy reading them! I'll definitely be checking out Secrets and Rain, Cally, as I loved Home for Christmas.

I love the smell of rain as it falls after a hot spell. Yum!! :)

Sarah said...

My secret is that I'm obsessed with miniature things (as in dolls-house size plates and bowls and furniture and tiny boxes like the ones that hold individual pieces of jewellery and little glass bottles and jars etc). I even like those little jars that hold individual portions of jam or honey... It's a sickness!

Virgoan Scribe said...

My memory of rain is a childhood one. During the school holidays I liked playing outside with my friends every day. I hated it when it rained because I wasn't allowed out and I'd sulk in my room watching the rain running down my bedroom window panes and complain that I was bored. Julia

Virgoan Scribe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hannah Clark said...

I wish i could write better!! I'd love to be a writer

Anne said...

Rain reminds me of childhood holidays. My Mum is Irish and we spent most summers in Donegal - it rained a lot! There is a special kind of rain in Ireland, I call it mizzle!

tkachi said...

When I was little I used to go and sit under a huge umbrella in the garden, so bit all you could see was my wellington boots. I loved the sound the rain made on the umbrella fabric.

Leah said...

Lovely idea, Cally. I'd love to win. My one wish would be to have just one more day with my dog, Scruffy who passed away this past week. He was 11, and it was kind of sudden, and although the last day I spent with him was brilliant, I'd love to have had a chance to say goodbye, a chance to stroke him one more time!

Leah said...

Lovely idea, Cally. I'd love to win. My one wish would be to have just one more day with my dog, Scruffy who passed away this past week. He was 11, and it was kind of sudden, and although the last day I spent with him was brilliant, I'd love to have had a chance to say goodbye, a chance to stroke him one more time!

Kelly said...

I love the smell of rain on hot pavements in summer. Not had that much this year!

Jo said...

I love the rain at times, if we are warm and relatively waterproofed,its fab to go out in it rather than feeling stuck indoors. Love splashing in puddles even as an adult. Something that is great fun even as an adult,my teen daughter still comes with us to do it.

kaewink said...

I love lying in bed in the evening listening to rain. And there is nothing better then a rainy afternoon, a hot cup of tea or coffee and a book, snuggling up on the sofa reading.

Cally Taylor said...

Loving all the comments, thanks everyone. It's funny how many warm memories we have of the rain. My favourite is a wet caravaning holiday in Wales (which was the basis for the'Secrets and Rain' story in the collection) where we sat in the car parked up on the seafront in the pouring rain and ate fish and chips from newspaper. The windows were steamed up, the air smelt of salt and vinegar, warm chips filled my tummy and I felt safe and happy.

Helen Yendall said...

I enjoyed reading your short stories, Cally. Would love to win this lovely box!

Charlotte Harrison said...

Love the box! So cute. Will definitely be entering :)

Charl
www.aplaceonthebookshelf.blogspot.com

Shopnerkotha said...

Great blog for writer. Hard work. Nice post.
http://www.rushessay.org/buy-essay